Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I do understand the need to have carburetors in synchronization when two or more are on the same engine when each is dedicated to a portion of the engine's cylinders. Since 1970 with my Norton with it's two cable operated Amals I've known. Tridents have three carbs on a gantry (all linked together mechanically), 1200s have 4, this 1500 has two.

It amazes me the numbers who have a smooth running bike suddenly wanting to synch the carbs. How do they get them "out of whack"? Only times I have ever needed to synch carbs was after I moved parts, took apart, adjusted somehow, never because an un-synched condition "just happened".

It's just a comment.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Most riders don't realize that carb sync only effects the idle. Has no effect at higher rpm.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
So synchronization of the carburetors you are saying only affects the idle? I never knew that . Not being a smart-ass just being totally honest I never knew that. Still learning about these great machines

·
Administrator
58,161 Posts
So synchronization of the carburetors you are saying only affects the idle? I never knew that . Not being a smart-ass just being totally honest I never knew that. Still learning about these great machines
As soon as you twist the throttle the tiniest amount, it opens the slides, and once the slides are open, the Idle Circuits no longer have any effect on the engine.

·
Administrator
24,801 Posts
And slightly above idle, less than 1/8 throttle. After that they would have to be way, way off to have any effect.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Back when tappetts where adjustable and you had points not electronic and i worked for a main dealer in uk i would refuse point blank to adjust carbs unless i did full tune up first and on many years only had to adjust carbs if the owner had been "playing"

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
My GL1500 has 150,000 miles on it and I've never touched the carbs. Runs great

·
It aint rocket science
3,816 Posts
As soon as you twist the throttle the tiniest amount, it opens the slides, and once the slides are open, the Idle Circuits no longer have any effect on the engine.

Actually the idle circuit is always in play, and is cumulative with main and secondary mains.

·
Administrator
24,801 Posts
The effect is so minuscule as to not even be there at all.
No point in even considering what the idle circuits do once up to road speed.
That's not true. If you have ever ridden one with the idle jets plugged you notice it won't run right at speed either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts