Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm thinking .....:?...OHHHHH NOOOOOOOOO not those carbs acting up again.:?.....
anyone here done an efi swap ? TBI or MPFI ? do I have to be the first? its seems that getting carb parts is harder each time, and I live in a digital world. I don't get to play with points and such silly things either. I efi'd my 78 Bronco just 'cause I hate carbs too.... Anyone tried and succeded ? failed ?:baffled: what do I need to watch out for ?
Rick.

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
imported post

You're not the first to think of it but you could be the first to actually do it. Go for it man.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

It has been discussed many many times. There are several with superchargers but none that I know of with EFI. Mooseheadm5 and Tausinieraider (sp?) over on the Nekid Board have been talking about it for a while but I do not think either is near the install phase yet.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

it could be done, but you would spend like 5X times what your bike is worth. so i would sell it and get a 1200 sei or ltd, those two are fuel injected. OR.. get a 1800 xD would be cheaper.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

William_86 wrote:
it could be done, but you would spend like 5X times what your bike is worth. so i would sell it and get a 1200 sei or ltd, those two are fuel injected. OR.. get a 1800 xD would be cheaper.
I can't see that happening.... I love my gl1100A, I have enough stuff here to do either the mpfi or TBI with stuff on my shelves, and its all paid for already. I'm a journeyman mechanic by trade and I love do do things that just haven't been tackled yet. I own welders and plasma cutters and presses and all kinds of fabrication tools. I would however like some positive information on what has been tried and how it could have worked better . It's all here ..skills, tools, parts and curiousity. Positive ideas and suggestions are a plus. If it did cost me 5X what you think my bike is worth, I'd still feel that mine is cooler than yours :p

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Motorcycle success stories.

http://www.msruns.com/viewforum.php?f=93&sid=48bf575414d721f97e78f2f628d73f99

Don't see the 1100, but there's some pretty good ideas on the success page.

1500 specific, below.

http://www.adfrancois.nl/1508/index.html

I used the neder language, and used Google to convert it to English, somehow, awhile back, and now I forgot how I did it. The English page is missing the bottom portion, for some reason. Search this Saunders site, for 1500 fuel injection, and you'll probably find the link I had for the full English. I'm on my way out, so don't have time to search.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

EFI'ing a 78 Bronco seems like a high school shop project. I would hope it's simple considering most EFIs are designed for auto apps. But an old 1100? Sounds like a waste of time but since you're a journeyman mechanic by trade and love do do things that just haven't been tackled yet I would think you'd be plasma cutting, pressing and welding that EFI'ed 78 Bronco engine into that 1100a frame cause that ain't been tackled yet!
PS: I'm thinking 10 or 20x what an 1100 is worth

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

morram wrote:
EFI'ing a 78 Bronco seems like a high school shop project. I would hope it's simple considering most EFIs are designed for auto apps. But an old 1100? Sounds like a waste of time but since you're a journeyman mechanic by trade and love do do things that just haven't been tackled yet I would think you'd be plasma cutting, pressing and welding that EFI'ed 78 Bronco engine into that 1100a frame cause that ain't been tackled yet!
PS: I'm thinking 10 or 20x what an 1100 is worth
nope, not simple with a mpfi setup .......theres not enough time in a semester to do it . Everything from intank to exhaust is different. Gold WIng can't be much different, you need all the same inputs for an 1100 as a 7500. all inputs go to computer that controls output. There are a few different styles ..........some use a mass air flow sensor, some don't, some have injectors at each cylinder that batch fire, some fire sequentially, some use central FI etc. An O2 sensor bung is very easily added to any exhaust for input to the computer for tuning purposes. Electric fuel pump for pressure. It's all doable, only difficult part that even needs to be fabbed is the airbox for throttle plates ( or throttle body). I guess since nobodys done it here, and I live in a climate where the bike is parked for the next 5 or 6 months, I'll have to try and make time to just get'er done. the 7.5L in the Bronco uses more fuel warming up than the 1100 uses drving across town, so that idea ( while certainly cool in theory ) is going out the window for now.

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
imported post

I have actually thought about this quite a lot. It has gone on the back burner since I sold the 1100 I was going to try it on. My thought was to use the throttle body injection off an old Honda civic or a 4 cyl GM car. The only thing I haven't studied on how to do is where to get the pulse for the engine rpm. All else would be pretty straight forward.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I'm in the process of fitting megasquirt injection to my 1500 the only difficult bit is mounting the injectors and figuring out the wiring and programming, I've chosen to let the megasquirt unit do the spark and th
e fuelling.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Cool, a 1500 fuel injection.

anarchychaos, can you start a new post. I am sure many will be interested and would have many questions.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and welcome to both Rick82 and anarchychaos This is quite an intersting thread . It has come up before . I hope you both get some ideas from others and are able to share your progress along the way . I hope you both find the forums here enjoyable and visit often .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.