Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently purchased a 1999 1500 SE and haven't received my Clymer manual yet. Anyway, while it starts right away w/choke, after it warms it still seems to be running a little rich. By that I mean you can smell the gas, not raw fumes but that to rich smell of the old days. The bike idles smoothly at about 800 rpm so I don't know if I should mess with it or not. Mileage on my 1st tank around town was 35 mpg.

Also, looking at the manual it appears that changing the air cleaner is a real pain in the ***. I thought that if it hadn't been changed that could besome of the problem. The previous owner had several service receipts in the manual and I didn't see a new air cleaner in any of them.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Changing the filter is not that bad. Not too bad of mileage either. Treat it to some SeaFoam and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

The absolute best gas mileage I ever had was 46 mpg. That was cruising at 65 mph. But, I typically get around 31-35 mpg for my all around riding. My exhaust always smells rich, and I am not concerned about it at all. Even when I had the dreaded hesitation stumble bog from running lean, it still had a rich smell.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
imported post

I don't notice a rich smell to my 99' 1500SE, but if you are getting 35mpg around town, I wouldn't mess with anything! I will get 40 to 42 out on the highway running 65 2-up, but in town my mileage will drop to around 30 to 33.

Cobra

:15grey:

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Excellent article descibing how to replace the air filter. There isa lot ofgood information on this site. I received the Clymer Manual today but this explanation was much better.

Leafing through the manual I have to say these bikes are REALLY complicated. Bells, whistles, and valves hanging all over the place.

Thanks all.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi bill just off hand is the richnes from the exhaust or just a smell of gas in general if so open the outside fuel door and have a sniff around may be a small leak from pet **** of fuel filter clamps ect, if from exhaust pull the plugs and compare left bank from right when the air turns cooler the 1500 has a tendensy to be a little rich your gas milage is ok but just have a cheque to make sure and put your mind at ease

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

The smell is more rich exhaust than raw fuel. I don't think I'll worry about it for now considering everyone's response.

I did go to our WalMart today and picked up a bottle of SeaFoam. Never heard of it before but it sure seem sto be popular in this forum. I'll run some of that through fuel system and see what happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.