Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Has anyone noticed carbon monoxide while riding there motorcycle and towing a trailer?I previously read an article about this ocuring with a Valkyrie interstate

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

Some bikers use muffler turndowns turned sideways to deflect the fumes away from the bike and trailer.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

Since CO is a tasteless. odorless, colorless gas, how would you?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

I have not heard any thing with the bikes but i had a couple of vans a few years ago and if you had the rear doors open it would suck the exhaust back inside the trailer would upset the natural flow of air around the bike as Honda would only have been concerned with the aero dynamics of the bike its self

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

you would start to get headaches

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Ironman1947 wrote:
you would start to get headaches

:cool:try riding one-up ...

As agnogel posts, I can get a little exhaust puff when towing a trailer that changes the air flow aft of he bike (I have a shor tongued "squared" box kinda cargo trailer that this is noticible on when fitted with its cooler. Seems to be an issue just before the somewhat 'typical' 45-55mph air flow that puffs up the back of my helmet. (depending on windscreen height/vent/wing positioning). It's manageable, but notible.

The same dos not happen with the longer-tounge'd and less box-shape trailer that I normally pull.

Since the wing does do a farily good job at creating dead airspace for the rider, and we've all experienced some level of "negative pressure" or "rotor flow" where air seem to travel forward (from the rear)... I would imagine that anything tha would introduce exhaust into the 'rider's bubble' could be an issue - albeit quite dilute.

The aero-package on the GL1500 I currently ride is vastly improved over the WindJammer I had on my GL1000. I could actualy get rain pulled from road-splash pulled up onto the backside of the windscreen with that old setup.

Can't say as I've noticed CO, as mentioned, I really can't detect the gas directly, but I can say that tugging the "Box" trailer san pass a few wiffs of exhaust into my airspace in the right conditions.

FWIW, the 2012's specifically address the vacuum area behind the bags by including specific venting, I'd imagine that this would greatly reduce any chance fo exhaust fumes (of any kind) to be pulled up into the driver's air-space.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Carbon Minoxidil only works when trying to regrow BLACK hair.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

ka9nyn wrote:
Since CO is a tasteless. odorless, colorless gas, how would you?
True but fortunately exhaust fumes have other stinky bits that can act as a warning IN SOME CASES. One problem with gases is they start by making you groggy and you can crash with the real cause never getting known.

Since you aren't alert you don't notice the decline in your situation.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

To be perfectly honest, you would only be able to check the aerodynamics in a wind tunnel with a coloration of the exhaust fumes. Probably ecomonically prohibative.

Smelling the exhaust fumes at speed "could" occur if the balance pipe/box was leaking upwards.

Further eddying of the airstream is of course possible but I have never heard of exhaust fume poisoning on a bike with a "standard" setup.

However......... if your worried about it........ don't pull a trailer.

IMHO,

Dave.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Can't imagine that it would be problem with an open "cockpit", but have you thought of this??? (available at pilot shops or online)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.