Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been chasing an issue with my new to me 1100.

"All it needs is a carb rebuild" got me sucked in and I have been on the trail of the problem for a while.

To make a long story short....

I found 2 idle jets were plugged through the main hole that goes through from one end to the other. the little holes were fine.

I am hopin opening those up fixes at least part or the whole problem.

I was running cold on 2/4 cyl. and hot or normal on 1/3. I am thinkin hot.

I am getting spark to all 4, new plugs, fuel to all bowls (did the gravity fill test) levels good.

I am going to change out the plug wires and caps just for good measure....and to eliminate a potential cause of low fire/spark.

all valve/sync good (though now when I re install I will check)

The only other thing I am going to do is check / give another polish to the cv sliders and bolt them back on and hope for the best.

Anything else I should do while I have them out? Do you think I fixed the problem?

thanks

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

i think there going to be a big difference now pony im sure ....it might not make it perfect but its going to be a huge step forward

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanks JD.

we get around eh!

I will post up the results!!

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

triple check the float heights - they are critical.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

Check the compression and the valve lash also seals between the two sides of the plenum and verify that the choke butterflies are all opening all of the way.

Steve

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

compression checked 120,120,120,110. not good hoping those #'s will come up - it has been sitting. valves done/re-done.

will do the bench sych.

pulled the other set just now - I had a #2 intake full of gas.

Huh! what caused this? stuck valve?

If it ain't one thing it's three.....

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

Compressions are pretty marginal. Honda recommends 140 minim. A bent valve will easily show up as 100. When you say an "intake full of gas" what do you mean?

steve

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I am with you on the #'s. My 78 was 160 all around.

The other motor had less. This one supposedly has 17k mi. on it. It is all I have at the moment. Someone on another forum said his #'s were low initially, but after riding for 200mi they went up. I am hoping.

Re: the gas. When I pulled the carbs the intake in the head/manifold was almost to the top with gas - nothing in 1,3,4 only #2.

I put the new discovered idle jet fix carb on and initial results are promising. even heat on both exhausts, even push out the exhaust.

I have to leave it though and go pick up the wife and do other "more important" stuff, so all the tweaking/checking is going to have to wait awhile.

I'll be back....

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the #2 carb. float is sticking open.

Also you can take a wirebread tie with the plastic on it to clean the pilot jets that are pluged. Just strip the plastic off it and clean from both ends using carb cleaner.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

by open you mean the float needle valve is not seating?

That was with the previous set of carbs. the ones that I just put on it today have brand spankin new honda oem needle valve$.

so far so good.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

I see I' alittle late on the reply...sorry.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

no worries

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.