Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Carbs for dummies? Are there any other books like this out?..like DO NOT try to take your bars off solo and be left holding them in your driveway til someone comes to help! Yep, I actually did that! HAHA!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Okay...The starting circuit, When starting a cold engine and fully opened "Choke" this will explain the white smoke and heavy fumes from exhaust till warm and choke closed ??
Just re-built both carbs on 93 SE wing model & it was doing the same B-4 re-build. I guess this is the norm ?
Okay Im not a carb expert by any means but I have been told by my mech, other old wing riders and on a lot of forums that one of the reasons for the white smoke is a lot of people tend to use the side stand rather than the center stand and when a wing is left tilted that is why they tend to smoke a bit when first started. I don't know the vailidty of this but I have read it more than once and as I say my mech told me as well.

·
Administrator
57,506 Posts
Okay Im not a carb expert by any means but I have been told by my mech, other old wing riders and on a lot of forums that one of the reasons for the white smoke is a lot of people tend to use the side stand rather than the center stand and when a wing is left tilted that is why they tend to smoke a bit when first started. I don't know the vailidty of this but I have read it more than once and as I say my mech told me as well.
Doc,
You got it pretty dead right.

If you leave a flat four or flat six engine on the side stand for extended periods of time; the bike will "most likely" exhibit some smoking out of the kick stand side for a few minutes.

This is normal and nothing to even give a second's thought about. Has to do with a slight amount of oil seepage into the cylinder. And it only takes a very small amount of oil to cause smoking on startup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So, Wings do smoke if left on the side stand? Good, i thought something was wrong and I stopped working on my Wing because it would smoke to beat the band! Now I have to figure out where I left off last Fall. Think I will start from scratch and reacquaint myself with my 75 1000. These bikes sure can be a handful. I have had nothing but trouble with mine since I started to bring it back to life. Well here goes another season with it in the garage.
By the way... great article.. lots of stuff going on. Just wish I could remember the info. Its like pouring a gallon of info into a thimble sized brain! Thanks for posting article.
-Tank-

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
LOL, didn't notice the date,

21 - 30 of 30 Posts