Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am new to the goldwing forum,I had a v65 magna and the wife and are now riding togather.The goldwing I chose was the one wich fit my budget (cheap) it has 108,000 miles.The problem seems to with the carbs,The first of wich is the idle RPM is spuradic (moves up and down depending on the weather,but does not surg)The second is on a slight grade with a load on it under excelaration it seems to choke, pop, spudder and not take the gas ( almost miss)If you down shift it seems to be fine ,after a couple seconds.The spark plugs have been replaced,oil changed and new fuel filter.I have seen the carbs but not ventured to remove them yet any seguestions or help would be great.Also what years carburators will fit my 1988 gl 1500 ,I was lookin into buying a set off a local salvage dealer.Please give me some good info.:jumper:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Before you go nuts buying carbs, why not try a couple tankfulls of Seafoam in the gas first.

Real cheap fix for many fuel related problems.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Yep,like Rudy said, helped my '96. :cool::cool::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

if you decide to buy, i have a set of rebuildable carbs(w/ new carb slides)

Robin

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Do like Rudy suggest, run some Seafoam through a couple of tanks of gas. Also don't lug the engine, these babies like high rpms. Also look into getting your carbs synced after doing the Seafoam trick.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

any history on your Wing would help members here offer the best course of action with getting your wing in prime running condition.

When these bikes are bangin' on all 4 properly you will have loads of power & fuel mileage in the mid to high 40's per gallon.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I have already tried seafoam,been running it for about 600 miles.I try not to lug it down past about 1500 RPM`s.I`m getting about 38-40 mpg`s.Does anyone know what other year carbs will fit my bike?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a vacuum leak or balance needed then, instructions are here.

GL1500 Carburettor Balancing

Problem you might have changing carbs is whether or not you have had the 88/89 carb recall done. If so you now have a different ECU and Jets. You will need to match up whatever that is with whatever you get.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I was wondering if I could find out some way if my bike had this recall done?I just bought this bike in march of last year and don`t know much about them yet.Keep all the knowledge coming..Is there a company that makes a good carb rebuild kit for the 1500 goldwing?

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

The best place to buy carb kits is http://www.siriusconinc.com/default.aspI replaced my carbs on my88 gl1500 a few weeks ago.I replaced all the vac hose about 15 feet total. It runs great now. But my problem was hesiatation at low speed.

Call your dealer he can check with honda for records on recalls on the bike.

I bought carbs from ebay from a 1999, there are changes in componets and hoses but they are working good. Carbs from any gl1500 will fit and work, but may require some other modifications. Get a clymers manual, it shows great detail. I have the manual for the 88-92 but would be nice to have the manual from the year the carbs were.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

for rebuild kits, I have only heard good reports from Randakk's or mother Honda's kit's.

There is a few places you can send your carbs where they get stripped to the bone & re done. Cost can be as much as $400 but you will find that doing 4 carbs yourself will also cost alot.

If your float level is out be 2 mm your bike will be affected.Too rich or too lean, flooding into the plenum etc.

Send a PM to md craimer, (spelling???) or kit carsonfor more info on this. They have already walked your path. If you buy aftermarket kits or jets you might have a wing that runs like crap after alot of time & money.

rhughes had luck with his carbs but I have not heard of the place that he bought his kits from so I cannot comment on those.

Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
for rebuild kits, I have only heard good reports from Randakk's or mother Honda's kit's.

There is a few places you can send your carbs where they get stripped to the bone & re done. Cost can be as much as $400 but you will find that doing 4 carbs yourself will also cost alot.

If your float level is out be 2 mm your bike will be affected.Too rich or too lean, flooding into the plenum etc.

Send a PM to md craimer, (spelling???) or kit carsonfor more info on this. They have already walked your path. If you buy aftermarket kits or jets you might have a wing that runs like crap after alot of time & money.

rhughes had luck with his carbs but I have not heard of the place that he bought his kits from so I cannot comment on those.

Keep us posted!
randakks does not sell kits for the 1500, and honda doesn't sell kits for anything you have to buy individual parts.

also if the floats were off wouldn't that affect the idle also? You must have just misread but he has a 1500 only 2 carbs.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Well I took the carbs off today and pulled the bowls to find out they are very clean!not to say I will still disassemlble and clean them .I did also find the vacume hoses are getting bad ,and the one under the carb is completely distroyed just like the pics show on this site.I will be headed to the parts store in the morning to get new hoses and some carb cleaner.Thanks again for all the great help and thanks for welcoming me to the forum with great information.Some other forums are not as nice and excepting as this.Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

That hose under the carbs is a pre-formed hose. I recommend that you go to the Honda dealership and get the right hose for that spot.

It might not make a difference, but if it does, it's an awful lot of work to get back in there and correct it.

I figure mother Honda used the pre-formed hose for a reason. They used bulk hose in a lot of other areas, so it must be pre-formed for a reason.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Well I have cleaned the carbs. and reinstalled them.Now I have picked up the famous 750-1400 RPM idle surge,Any sugestions other than screwing the adjustment screw a couple times.I replaced a few of the vacuum hoses that were bad and cleaned the sub air cleaner and it seems to run worse than before.Thanks In advance for any info.I guess my next step is to check for vacuum leaks and check carb. syncroniziation.Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

T-Rex, Welcome to this forum and hope you stick around. Lots of good information here.

1) At this point, I would get a vacuum gage. I would suspect a balance or still a vacuum leak.

2) You didknow there was a recall on the 88 carbs, right? You said your carbs were clean, but did you do anything else to them or just re-cleaned and put them back together? Jets were a little small, but you have already put the carbs back together.

3)The GL1500 are known to hesitate and stumble. Many have used Seafoam with much success. Another change to help hesitation that many have come across is to replace the timing wheel with a 4 degreeadvanced trigger. That would besomething for you to check out in the future.

4) When the carbs were off, the rubber mounts tend to get hard and crack. A vacuum gage and sync will let you know.

5) Now that you have the carb back on, your sliders and accelerator pump functions properly, right? that is opens up and squirts. May want to choke it a little if stumbles to continue with the diagnostic to get them tuned.

What a job, as you nowknow. I did mine twice, and I got tired of jacking with my 88 hesitation, so I installed a 97 carb. I think the only difference was thecruise controlmicro switch and a vacuum line for the relay solenoids. The vacuum hoses werealso replacedwith integrated hoses and plastic tubes.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Yes carbs are back in but still not all buttoned up,so getting back to them is not to big of job.What jets should I be changing ?and is there a spec.for adjusting the throtle cable,(amount of play)That would cause the idle problem?I did not see one in the book.I keep looking at the newer carbs,but I guess on the 1988 I need to watch out for a different ecm.I`m laid off work and kinda trying keep itcheap, but arn`t most of us?

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Like Rudy said, there is a service bulletin recall. The instructions identifies many repairs, but it has been stated here that honda did not perform some of the repairs such as the ECMreplacement. The carb repair would be represented by an X marked on the frame in front of the battery. The newer ECM I believe is a MT2 part number and that is the instructions verification.

Here is the link on this forum.

ebay that include jets, but I never bought them ~$50 for each separate carb. If not, one could play with the float level. I would like to think the originalcarb did function adequately at least once when new.

There is a procedure for adjusting the throttle cable but not for the purpose that would affect idle. Idle will still have the idle fuel mixture,rpm screw, and sync screw. I think the book says to set the pilot fuel screw three turns out and then adjust accordingly.

I would not worry about the ECM. I have an old and new model, and one of these days I am going to put a timing light on them to see if there are any differences in the timing curve, advancement, etc.. I wonder if the replacement is why many elect to go with a 4 degree trigger wheel. But, then many other 1500 have also tried using this wheel... with success.

When your carb was apart, did you take out the jets, and checked all the ports/orifice passages?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.