Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi all. just picked up an 1100 gw [i already have a 1200] the bike the 1100 felt like it needed a carb cleaning so i tried to remove the carbs having a helluva time in removing the damm thing but i will succeed. the carb is completely filthy rust and corrosion on every part a true mess. the idiot that previously owned the bike actually removed the
large o rings from the intake manifolds and ran it metal to metal. the intake valves are
completely gummed up. so here is the question can i take a large bucked and immerse
the whole carb body in cleaner to remove years of neglect and slime or would i screw
something up in the process of over cleaning..

thx gumby.. a pox on those who abuse fine machinery they should be forced to walk
everywhere

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

I just finished an 1100 carb job and am waiting for a new ignition switch which failed when I went to start. If they are anywhere near as bad as mine they definitely need completely dismantled and rebuilt. The air cutoff valve diaphrams were a gooey mess and the accellerator pump was so full of rust and corrosion it hadn't seen gas in years.
There are good instructions on this site.
Have fun!!!
Claude

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
imported post

Yep, took me about 6 hours to get the carbs out of my 1100. Thankfully I couldn't afford to take it anywhere so I HAD to succeed. I could probably do it faster now. Getting the fairing off was half the battle.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

You can try anything... but in the end, I can almost guarantee that it will not run right until completely disassembled, properly cleaned and rebuilt to spec.. If the valves are gummed up too, then, personally, I'd make sure they are free before rotating the engine as sticking valves could strike the pistons and bend valves..

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

ourgangmn wrote:
... Getting the fairing off was half the battle.
Fairing does not have to come off to remove carbs

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The bad news is that the 1100 has the easiest to remove fairing.:cooldevil:Normally it's not all that difficult to remove, just unscrew the lowers, unplug the fairing cable and remove the four nuts under the fairing mount and the four under the front skirt.The only caveat I can remember was watching out when you removed the mounting nuts on the fairing because it has a tendency to want to fall off the bike. There might have been more but I don't remember any problem taking them off or replacing them. As you must have discovered you need to remove the two right carb caps and sliders prior toremoving the carbs. Not to mention the fuel and vacuum line. They do take some tricky juggling. There's enough clearance to get them out but only just and you sure have to turn and twist them just right to get 'em out. If you ever pull the engine it's a lot easier to leave the carbs in the frame when the engine comes out. Then the carbs are easy to get out, going back in it's easiest to hang the carbs in place with some rope or bungees and then install the engine under them.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Ditto on the Randakk kit. Also don't bother with boiling water, use Valvoline Carb Cleaner to hose out years of varnish and green junk. Mine was plugged with rust from the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

gumby wrote:
hi all. just picked up an 1100 gw [i already have a 1200] the bike the 1100 felt like it needed a carb cleaning so i tried to remove the carbs having a helluva time in removing the damm thing but i will succeed. the carb is completely filthy rust and corrosion on every part a true mess. the idiot that previously owned the bike actually removed the
large o rings from the intake manifolds and ran it metal to metal. the intake valves are
completely gummed up. so here is the question can i take a large bucked and immerse
the whole carb body in cleaner to remove years of neglect and slime or would i screw

thx gumby.. a pox on those who abuse fine machinery they should be forced to walk
everywhere
cannot submerge air cutoff valves or accelerator pump and or the carb slides. in all....no rubber parts.

good luck,

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

gumby wrote:

everywhere
cannot submerge air cutoff valves or accelerator pump and or the carb slides. in all....no rubber parts.

good luck,

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

gumby wrote:

everywhere

good luck,

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

In the midst of doing my gl1100 carbs...used brake cleaner on the bodies..it's amazing..all the years of grime just flew off...was advised by a friend of mine who is also a bike mechanic. The rubber parts may swell if left in place..but will return to normal. Best not to try and re-use the original rubber anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.