Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 1500 will idle at 800 then jump to 12-1300 and pulsate up and down approx. 200 rpm, you can blip the throtle and it will settle down but then in a few seconds it does it again. I have looked at and shook all hoses I can see under the side panels an under the left an right glove boxes. I am going to have the carbs synch thursday. I have run carb cleaner through it. The bike runs great, just the idle problem and if you try to ease the throtle rpm up it will jump from approx. 800 to 12-1300, insted of easing up 8-9-10-11-1200 rpm, but am hoping the carb synch will help that. Also it has new air cleaner, and spark plugs.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Yep, try the carb sync first... that will probably solve it.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

What did the plugs look like when you replaced them, any different than others.

The GL1500 has a plethora of vacuum lines all which could be leaking or cracked and leaking, you could try to remove the lower plastic and use the old carb cleaner spray method to try and locate vacuum leaks.

Another guess may be the vacuum petcock diaphragm. If it holes through you'll probably first notice a gasoline smell, followed by a loss of power when the spark plug fouls in the middle position right bank. (Vacuum line goes to that intake runner)

Mine was in the shop 5 times for "carb cleaning" and synching. It took me half a day of troubleshooting to find the petcock problem and the only way I verifyed it was to remove the petcock and dis assemble it on the bench. ~130.00 $ (US) part.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Tony!:waving::waving:

:whip:Anyone who writes 'plethora' is my kind of guy, it'lldrive REDWING nuts!:whip:

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Here is a follow up on the carbs. I had the carbs synch, they were out a little. Still had the idle speedup and pulsate. We discussed it and decided the vacuum lines would have to be looked at, but not today not enough shop time. While we were listening to it idle fast I idled it down with the idle adjuster by the gas cap and then back up some. After I left the shop and all the way home when I would stop it idled about right, maybe just a tad rough but no speeding up?? As I said it runs great and pulls up hills at a slow speed in OD ect. Bottom line is at the moment it is doing fairly well ???? but I am going to put it on the lift and pull off all the plastic and check the lines next week. Thanks for the replies and info and I am sure I may ask for more info and I just might even give some in return, thanks again...Gary

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

GB45... If you find the vacuum hoses, plusg, air and fuel filterare all o.k., and still have the problem, you may need to perform a pilot screw set-up AND re-balance the carbs..

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks Renegade..I put some Lucus gas treatment in it yesterday and I think it is working. In a few days I will do a recap on this thread or a new thread on the problem and what I tried and the results. .....Gary

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Cool... I'll be waiting...:goofygrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.