Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got sick of my leaking #3 carb with the loose float bowl screw, so i yanked out the carbs! Pretty easy, short of the stupid air cut valve and the throttle cables.1) Anyway, one of my float bowl screws is totally stripped. Can i get the hole helicoiled for a bigger screw and salvage the carb?2) Inside, more problems -- i pulled the primary/secondary jets to find the primary nozzle end was cracked off (where it meets the jet). I suppose the nozzle is easy to replace. Also, the two jets were bent up and scored on the ends -- like someone grabbed them with channel locks, or forced them back in (hence the damaged nozzle inside).I'm a little scared to open the other carbs. However, short of some light carbon deposits on the vacuum piston, and some sediment from the tank, the carbs are really clean!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

Mag,

From what you're describing after opening up one carb, I'd consider getting:

A: a rebuilt set of carbs, or

B: another set of carbs for rebuilding

(Using your old carbs as parts carbs)

You could rebuild one, & rplace the screwed up one, & then work the others over as time permits.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

mag... Look at E-bay for LKQ carbs.. They are not too expensive and you can use the parts from your damaged units to rebuild any of them... The trick is to end up with 4 perfect carbs..

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

It makes sense to start getting stuff like carbs from EBay while they can bve had. Won't be too long before used carbs are impossible to get for older Wings. :?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

On the other hand, why not refurbish my set? What about putting a bolt with a nut through the float bowl to deal with the stripped carb. The carbs otherwise seem to be quite clean. It seems quite common to have to replace jets, etc. Unless the linkages are worn, why trash the whole assembly? I can spend $100 on kits, or $300+ on a set of other carbs.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

A used set of "parts" carbs won't cost you that much. :)

If interested, PM me.;)

:waving:

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Just bought a set of carbs off Ebay, apparently rebuilt six months ago. Hope they turn out to be as good! Also got some nice looking Vetter bags, mount, and OEM mufflers with the baffles in 'em!/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/clapper.gif Will report back when i get them....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.