Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi There,

Can you advise on this subject. My GL1500 1989 is going for a major service and some paint jobs, and I am off to Laguna Seca for 2 weeks Moto GP, but thats another story.

My question is, should I have the carbs re balanced, as to my knowledge the bike has never had this done.

I am sure I read on this site that it should be done every 20,000 miles, but am not sure.

The bike is running fine. Should I just leave well alone

Thanks

Dave

Mallorca

SPAIN

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

while all I have is a '78 and '86, I have never re-balanced the carbs on either one. The only time that I would think it would be needed is when the carbs are rebuilt, or the bike is not running correct.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

When I owned a 1500, I checked the carb balance annually but never needed to adjust them. If it runs evenly on tickover, picks up cleanly and gives good fuel economy I'd go by the old saying;

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hi Dave. The GL1500 generally needs the carbs balanced every 5-8000 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

jukeboxjury123 wrote:
Hi There,

Can you advise on this subject. My GL1500 1989 is going for a major service and some paint jobs, and I am off to Laguna Seca for 2 weeks Moto GP, but thats another story.

My question is, should I have the carbs re balanced, as to my knowledge the bike has never had this done.

I am sure I read on this site that it should be done every 20,000 miles, but am not sure.

The bike is running fine. Should I just leave well alone
Dave, that is a tough decision. If it runs great now there is always the chance it could run worse after a carb balance either because it is set just where it needs to be now or the guy doing the work doesn't get it back as good as it is now.

If I were doing it I would balance it myself & if close just leave it where it is, or if it needs balancing would mark all the things adjusted so I could put it back if it runs worse after the adjustment.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

Dave, it's not a big job to get the carbs balanced, just the lower fairing panels have to be pulled. I get mine done once a year (aboput every 8000 miles), if I leave it too long the bike gets a terrible flat spot and that's how I know the carbs need doing.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

I keep reading about balancing the carbs. Is this fairly easy to do and how do you do it? I would like to look into this for my 84 GL1200 and see if it helps with my problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.