Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Needs re set & cleaned....Who doe's this ? Whats the going rates?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Pistol Pete for one, from $250 to $400 for a rebuilt set..not just cleaned..

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Pete is who I would recommend also. Guy knows his carbs and is very thourough.His web site is here: http://www.oldwings.com/

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I had mine done at Classic Cycle Parts

Cost me around $400, they were stripped to the bodies, everything removable was thrown away, the bodies were ultrasonic cleaned, everything was replaced with brand new, Honda Spec parts, they were bench balanced and sent back to me.

All I had to do was mount 'em, balance 'em, and ride.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi Mike...Red (valor) White...(pureity) BLUE...(JUSTICE) What involves balance? Also, inside my gas tank is the apperance of rust or something, I don't want to stick clean carbs on if my tank is messed up. How can you tell for sure if you need to clean the gas tank?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

Inspect the inside with strong light and mirror. As long as a filter has been used there shouldn't be anything catastrophic about some dirt and debris in the tank.

Balance is where you adjust each carb so that they deliver fuel/air evenly to all cylinders. Synchronizing is another common term. You do it with engine running and special gauges that show the strength of each cylinder. Each engine will develop different vacuum and firing pressures on each cylinder so the carbs must be adjusted individually.

If you don't have the tools/gauges and knowledge to do it right - once you get the carbs back from a rebuilder (they will be close) take the bike to a local shop and have them do the synch.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The thing I like about Pistol Pete's work is the fact he not only bench syncs the carbs, he does a final sync of the carbs on a running engine. So a final sync after installing his carbs may not require a final sync on your bike. I guess it would depend a lot on your valve clearances being correct and the compression on you engine being pretty well even on all cylinders.

Taken from Pistol Pete's website.

*Note: Prices do not include additional scrub cleaning of caked on grime, additional repair work, additional parts replacement or requested parts, new jetting, other special modifications or polishing and shipping/packaging. Prices subject to change without notice. Technical Notice: Pistol Pete's carburetor service includes synchronizing/balancing to within 1/2" hg. on a test engine that is mechanically and operationally sound and cylinder compression differentials well within OEM service limits. Installation onto your engine may require "touch up" synchronizing for optimal performance.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

frankenpak wrote:
Hi Mike...Red (valor) White...(pureity) BLUE...(JUSTICE) What involves balance? Also, inside my gas tank is the apperance of rust or something, I don't want to stick clean carbs on if my tank is messed up. How can you tell for sure if you need to clean the gas tank?
Frank, give this thread a quick read...it'll give you a good idea of what you should do in case of tank rust, as well as other problems you may encounter if you just acquired this bike, or if it's been sitting awhile.

Resurrecting An Old Wing

Bench balancing the carbs means that they are synchronized in the perfect world environment of there being perfectly equal vacuum on each cylinder. Pistol Pete's also does this, and mounts them on an engine and balances them there. The problems is, they're not being mounted on YOUR engine, which will have different vacuum levels at each intake, the difference factor being wear, mileage, etc...

No 2 engines are ever, even fresh from the factory, the same.

You will still need to sync the carbs to YOUR engine, no matter who rebuilds them.

Checking the tank for rust. If you have a small inspection mirror and a flashlight, empty the tank, lower the mirror into the fuel neck, and have a look around. If you see deposits of rust of any size, your tank needs cleaned.

Your fuel filter will filter down to 2 microns. Pretty small actually. The problem is that when that rust starts to "wash" off inside the tank, there will be billions of particles smaller than 2 microns, and those particles will jam up the smaller ports inside your carbs...so you're right to be concerned. The thread I posted to you above will also give you a great idea on how to get rid of that rust in one easy, and permanent step.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

As long as a filter has been used there shouldn't be anything catastrophic about some dirt and debris in the tank
Actually, crap from my tank had worked past the fuel filter and jammed up against those little micro filters in the bowls. Enough to cause massive running problems. It was like fine red sand.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

chris in va wrote:
As long as a filter has been used there shouldn't be anything catastrophic about some dirt and debris in the tank
Actually, crap from my tank had worked past the fuel filter and jammed up against those little micro filters in the bowls.  Enough to cause massive running problems.  It was like fine red sand.
If crap that plugged your carbs worked past the filter your filter wasn't doing it's job IMO.

I haven't touched my GL carbs in over 10 years - The bike has never sit for more than a couple weeks at a time.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

If some time soaking the jets in the NAPA carb cleaner doesn't do the trick, the suggestion to send to Classic or Pistol Pete is what I'd suggest too.

Personally, I don't have the time to learn how to totally disassemble the carbs and have good results. I can't speak for Pistol Pete, but Classic sent my carbs back looking very spiffy and clean.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

AirCutoff wrote:
If crap that plugged your carbs worked past the filter your filter wasn't doing it's job IMO.
This would be incorrect.

Again, fuel filters will filter down to 2 microns.

Billions of particles from a rusty tank are SMALLER than 2 microns and will blow through the filter like beach sand through a kitchen strainer. The metal micro screens and small passages in the carb bodies are the next obstruction they will meet....and jam up against.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

IMO = in my opinion

You have your opinion - enjoy the ride!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.