Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey guys, i got a quick and what i think should be simple question and simple fix. now keep in mind i dont own a GW nor have i ever ridden one, i am a trained harley mechanic and also build a lot of honda inline fours but never messed with a GW before, i am rebuilding the carbs for someone else, got them out cleaned up and all new jets and seals, but a couple of them are leakin gas into the manifold from around the needle, so i am assuming the the float height is out of wack, or the floats are sticking, i took them out of the carbs and made sure they all float, so i was just wondering if anyone knew what they float height was supposed to be or if anyone has had this problem before and had any different suggestions. anything is appreciated. thanks guys.
Dennis

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

need to know what year . 1000 cc-21mm . 1100 cc---15.5 mm . 1200cc--- ? ? . 1500cc--- ? ?.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

all so recomend oem float valves (needle & seat )

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

it is a 1980 gl1100 interstate. i replaced the needle and seats when i rebuilt the carbs, i checked float height and three of them were at about 20mm and one was at 24mm, i believe (and correct me if im wrong) they are supposed to be 15.5mm so i adjusted them and they still leak around the needle on the slide. if you are sitting on the bike it is the front left carb and rear right carbs that are leaking and i dont know if that is just because they are the first to get fuel or what. i would like to get this thing back together today and get it out of the shop for the guy so i will take any suggestions please. thanks.
dennis

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,150 Posts
imported post

From what I have heard, if you use after market needle and seats instead of mother Honda parts, they will leak.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Unofficially I just made them level with the float bowl lip. One of my floats was way off, causing a bad rich misfire. Now it runs fine with no smoke or plug issues.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

Hooligan Cycles wrote:
it is a 1980 gl1100 interstate. i replaced the needle and seats when i rebuilt the carbs, i checked float height and three of them were at about 20mm and one was at 24mm, i believe (and correct me if im wrong) they are supposed to be 15.5mm so i adjusted them and they still leak around the needle on the slide. if you are sitting on the bike it is the front left carb and rear right carbs that are leaking and i dont know if that is just because they are the first to get fuel or what. i would like to get this thing back together today and get it out of the shop for the guy so i will take any suggestions please. thanks.
dennis
if the gas is coming up and leaking around the needle on the slide you got a problem with the float or needle seat just what ya figured. Ive heard of people putting the floats in upside down . I guess it can be done. JB

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

After market needles and seats have given many people grief. It is suggested that only Honda needles and seats be used.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

If you're gonna work on Goldwings then you need the manuals. Can't work on them without them.

Here's a good link for adjusting GL float bowls.

http://www.randakks.com/TechTip33.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.