Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey folks I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the carbs out of the frame. Seems like they're hanging up on the coolant pipe that's under there. Any suggestions.:baffled::baffled:

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Hey art....don't know about the 1100, but when I remove my carbs I always forget to pop the secondary air supply lines loose. That makes it seem like the carbs are hanging up on something. Either way, it's still a tight fit.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,825 Posts
imported post

Artmann: Remove the intakes from the right side and they will pop right out.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

thats after you remove the carb vacum tops from 1 &3 carbs. dont get them mixed up , mark them .

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

It is a tight fit.. all of the above suggestions were of help, but it still is like a chinese puzzle.. Not all of them come outas easy as others.. I finally had to loosen the metal fairing pieces on the lower left (2/4) side (to push forward).. and loosened the gas tank mounts and slide the tank back by 1/8".. that finally did it.. don't know why mine was so tight. but I have heard it before.. SDB/Jim

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I have to do all of the above (though not what Sandiegobrass had to do) and remove the engine guard on the left side. It does get easier with practise. All the same if you're going to give them a cleanup I suggest you double and triple check everything before reinstalling them. Close enough is NOT good enough, don't ask me how I know.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

k1w1t1m wrote:
Close enough is NOT good enough, don't ask me how I know.
LOL....amen....put mine in once and forgot to connect the choke cable. Too tight a fit to reconnect with the carbs in place. Had to disconnect everything again and slide them out enough to have room to reconnect it.

LOL....that's how I know!

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

Xtracho wrote:
k1w1t1m wrote:
Close enough is NOT good enough, don't ask me how I know.
LOL....amen....put mine in once and forgot to connect the choke cable. Too tight a fit to reconnect with the carbs in place. Had to disconnect everything again and slide them out enough to have room to reconnect it.

LOL....that's how I know!
BEEN THERE DONE THAT!!!:dude::dude::dude:

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Yep fellas I was just getting ready to pull out the BFH and take a few swings but I decided to walk away and start fresh this evening. I do have the manifolds and tops off of 1 and 3. I guess I'll remove the left side lower fairing and get myself a little more room to move. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
imported post

I had a heck of a time with putting mine back in until i noticed and had the cables routed funny. No problems coming out thou, good luck.
I second the double and triple check carbs are right before installing them. If not you will be a master at R&R.:)

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I also take off the plastic lower fairings both sides.

If you have the tops and slides off, and manifolds off #1 and #3 the rack should move around enough to disconnect the throttle cables...you might need two wrenches for this, I do. Have you disconnected the gas line and the vacuum line from #3? Don't forget to loosen the throttle cables. The adjuster is near where the aircleaner was alongside the frame.

Even the plug wires have to be in the right place for the rack to be convinced to come out.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Yep everything is off, cables etc.I think the fairing removal will do the trick.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

Oh MY I just did this Carb removal..
Not bad after I had the above guys
say all the same things a couple weeks
ago.. I am still waiting for some float needle
valves but now I am hearing that the after markets
will not work right. I will be getting these in
the mail soon. maybe I will stick with the old
ones maybe?
Guys let me know if you have ordered or tried these
before.
http://www.carbkitscapital.com/carb_kit_list_model.php?make=Honda&model=GL1100

Wish I would have read here first *sigh*

Jeff

·
Administrator
26,937 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Yeah Randaak seems to think ya just re-use the originals.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

artmann wrote:
Yeah Randaak seems to think ya just re-use the originals.
This will work provided the seats & screens are in good condition.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,825 Posts
imported post

If you re-use tho old valves clean the rubber tips with brake cleaner. It will remove any hard coating on the surface and leave them soft so they will seal better.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.