Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1981 basic gl1100 that some one added a aftermarket fairing to it has 23000 miles on it. While starting it up the other day after it had sat for about 4 months I noticed a leak,stream would be the better word, of what looked like oil but smelled like gas comming out of my timing belt cover. Drained my oil it had gas in it. pulled my air cleaner and gas was in the intake. What would cause this? I have put fuel additives in it. I ride the bike even in the winter. though tis past year I have not ridden as much. All the plugs seemed ok. Just put them and new wires on last summer. do my carbs need checking if so what is the best way to synch. them? I have never done this on a bike. I can find which end of the wrench to use. but this is new ground.

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a float sticking, They don't put overflow tubes on the goldwings so the gas just runs right in the cylinders and into the oil,

I'ld rebuild the carbs, with new float needles and seats, and make sure the floats float, by putting them in a cup with gas, leave them sit for a while and make sure they stay up,

I've only synced one bike with a mercury gauge, worked great, First you let the bike warm up, shut it off and hook up your gauges, make sure you don't rev engine to much or there goes the mercury through the engine, start the bike and let her idle, then turn each mixture screw to acheive the highest idle, Then adjust the butterflies, adjust it till the right side is even, then do the same to the left side, then even the right and left sides out, Turn your idle back down to were it should be and do it all over again, untill turning the idle screws 1/4 turn doesn't make a difference, then she should be good.

Hope that helps Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

poppa bear wrote:
I have a 1981 basic gl1100 that some one added a aftermarket fairing to it has 23000 miles on it. While starting it up the other day after it had sat for about 4 months I noticed a leak,stream would be the better word, of what looked like oil but smelled like gas comming out of my timing belt cover. Drained my oil it had gas in it. pulled my air cleaner and gas was in the intake. What would cause this? I have put fuel additives in it. I ride the bike even in the winter. though tis past year I have not ridden as much. All the plugs seemed ok. Just put them and new wires on last summer. do my carbs need checking if so what is the best way to synch. them? I have never done this on a bike. I can find which end of the wrench to use. but this is new ground.

Thanks for the help!
Welcome to the forum.

Yep, sounds like a combination of a stuck float valve and a petcock left openwith the bikein storage.

After draining, flushing, and replacing the oil in the crankcase... (Make sure there's absolutely no gas left inside the engine!), tap on the float bowls a bit to possibly dislodge the float valve and make it close. If itstill leaks you'll have to remove the carbs and probably clean, inspect, and possibly replacethe float valves.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing site on the Internet! poppa bear!:waving::waving:

To be doubly safe, I'd drain the engine, put in a couple quarts of new oil and a new oil filter, pull the plugs and crank the engine with the kill switch off. Be careful, if the cylinders are flooded they will spit out a lot of oil-gas mixture. Once you're sure the cylinders are clear shoot a little oil in each one and turn the engine over a couple times to lube the rings and bore. Drain the oil again, replace the filter again and refill with oil. I know this sounds a bit elaborate but I've seen two oil pans blown off over the years due to excessive gas in the oil. Usually happens when they try to start up. If you just drain it and restart, it's hard on the parts that have thin oil remaining such as all bearings and the rings.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Question???

Pulled my carbs off my 1981 GL1100, because of a possible stuck float, CarbFloats 1,2&4 had a little bit of travel if yu pushed down on them (thats with the carb assembly upside down) however the #3 carb float had no travel in what I would guess would be called the closed position when the bowel was full of gas

how do I adjust the floats?

Thanks

Bear

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Don't forget to check the fuel pump seal. If it fails you will get petrol leaking into the sump.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

I have taken off my carbs 3 times since July.. I have notice that one of

my needle valves is solid (has no spring in the middle). If this is

the correct condition, then it would account for the different float behavior.

I wonder if the #3 needle valve is supposed to have a solid center, or

do we have a defective center (no spring?).I have come to think that

I may need a new kit (or 4) , but is there a reason thatonlyONE of the

needles is solid in the center... (GL 1100A 1983)????

arkyman

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

ARKYMAN2003 wrote:
I have taken off my carbs 3 times since July.. I have notice that one of

my needle valves is solid (has no spring in the middle). If this is

the correct condition, then it would account for the different float behavior.

I wonder if the #3 needle valve is supposed to have a solid center, or

do we have a defective center (no spring?).I have come to think that

I may need a new kit (or 4) , but is there a reason thatonlyONE of the

needles is solid in the center... (GL 1100A 1983)????

arkyman
I don't know about the 1100, but the GL1000 has spring-loaded pins ineach float valve.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

I just changed the needles and seats on my 83 gl 1100 a number of weeks ago and the old needles as well as the new ones are all spring loaded.

Lugnut

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.