Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have seen several post on this forum about a pop, pop, from the engine. There could be a slight air leak atone or more of themanifolds. This might be a fix for someone.

We received rebuilt carburetors forthe 1983 GL 1100A week ago last Saturday. Ordered from Andrew At Classic. Thanks Andrew, you and your bunch at Classic Cycle Parts are a class act.:clapper::clapper:

Installed the carbs last evening in my son's garage. The engine started after several tries, ran on a couple cylinders, then gradually picked up to running on all four. Sounded pretty good except for a little 'Pop", "Pop", every now and then.

My son and Iretired to a couple of lawn chairs,sipping some coffee, while listened to the engine, "Pop", Pop", and discussing what might be wrong.:gunhead:
After a little time passed, my son got a big grin on his face and said he knew what was wrong. Still grinning like the cat that ate the Canary, he picked up a screwdriver, kneeled on each side of the engine in turn and the "Pop" "Pop" stopped. I'm still asking what was wrong.:?

My son then told me that he screwed the manifold screws (the ones where you insert the adapters for sync check) in by hand. Then I'm asking whyhe removed them. He let me know pretty quick that he had to remove the dam* chrome (chrome manifold covers, I thought they looked sharp) that I had installed last fall. My son is not much on adding chrome.:(

I am not sure of what it is made of but each screw has a washer on it. The washer looks to be pressed out of a sheet of aluminum orsome material softer than a regular steel washer. We found all four washers on the floor under the GL 1100. When I installed the chrome manifold covers, I had placed the washer under the covers for a good seal into the manifold.

For the "Pop" "Pop" in an engine; possible causes; check for air leaks at the o'ring on top of the head, at the rubber connection to the carbs, and make sure the manifold screw hasthe correctwasher. If you have the chrome manifold covers installed, make sure the washer is under the cover next to the manifold.

Rest of the story. After adjusting the idle, my son took the bike down the street to see how it ran, no seat or tank cover. Remember we have the sidecar. When he got back, he said it ran good up to 70 mph.

We still need to check sync on the carbs and do the 50 rpm drop check but looks like Andrew's bunch really do good work. As I have seen other's post, the engine runs good now and doubt we will need to adjust much.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
imported post

andy sent me a set of his rebuilt carbs for my gl1100 all i can say that my bike runs 1st class now. mark3

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.