Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Is it true or false that older low milage bikes thathave carb. problems require expensive work done to the tune of $1000.00 Should I be using prem. or regular gas?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

1000!!! its way too much.. well the best rebuild kit is around $99 at www.randakks.com you can do it yourself, or pay a shop. it depends on their hour rate, you can also buy at randakk's you can get the work done in a few hours, it is not a hard job.

i always run premium fuel, ppl say this old bikes dont need it, i just feel like she runs smoother so i stick with that.

welcome to the board!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,961 Posts
imported post

Hi Theo, welcome to the forum.

Don't throw a grand at it yet. If you really need to get rid of your money, PM me and I'll give you my address. :cooldevil:

What kind of issues are you having with the bike?

While it's true that low mileage on an '86 can indicate it has been sitting alot, and the wet environment of the PNW can exacerbate that. It dosen't mean that your bike will require extensive work.

There are some pretty smart cookies on this site and with their help, a little patience and a good tool kit, you can probably fix what's ailing the machine.

There are some members that are pretty close to you as well, and may be able to direct you to a local shop that knows these old 'Wings.

And something I know for sure is GoldWings hardly ever have serious problems.

About the gas...some here say premium. The book says regular. I used to use premium until I read some info in a mag that made sense, so I switched and have noticed no difference.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

If you read some threads here, you'll find MANY problems are solved with "Sea Foam" - which many here regard as a miracle in a can.

Many members have saved hundreds of dollars and tens of hours with that simple product.

Tell us more what's going on, please.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I've seldom charged more than $350 for a quad carb rebuild.
A bit less if the carbs are off the bike.
And a bunch more if the client wants to chat.
The mileage has little to do with the filthiness of the carbs. If it was stored with fuel in the bowls chances are the low jets are gummed.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

a lot more info behind your question would really be helpful... but pistol pete does "olde-wing" carbs for about $400 (don't know if he does 1200's) so a grand is WAY too high

go up to Eugene and visit Dave at cyclepsycho.... also lots of carb tips on www.nakedgoldwings.com

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Thank you for your input. Do you know if it's normal for the 1986 1200cc to smoke from around the engine at start up if it's been sitting on the kick stand for some time or do I have a gasget problem. It does'nt seem to be losing oil .

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Smoking on startup after sitting on the sidestand is 100.00% normal. I don't use the sidestand too much for that very reason.

EVERY single 1200 I've seen (and I've seen many) do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I just re-read your post and you say:

"Smoke from around the engine".

It's normal for some oil smoke to come out the left exhaust if it's been sitting on the sidestand, but not "around the engine".

Sounds like an exhaust leak?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,961 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
I just re-read your post and you say:
"Smoke from around the engine".
It's normal for some oil smoke to come out the left exhaust if it's been sitting on the sidestand, but not "around the engine".
Sounds like an exhaust leak?
An exhaust leak, or perhaps a small oil leak onto the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I took my carbs off 4 time because of trying to save cash and ommiting some steps. Once I took it off and did it the right way , all is well.
Take your carbs off and do a thourough cleaning before going and spending the cash on the rebuild kit.
All my jts were clogged to the point that I needed guitar string to poke the giunk through. I set my floats to the correct value on an incorrect ruler which gave me crappy fuel milage. Now all is done, wish I had taken them off and done it right the first time witgh patience. But i dont have a garage and work out of my driveway. Shes my only for af transportation so you can see why I needed her up and running in a day.

Take your time take pictures , so you know how everything will go back together.
Some helpfull tools are a few plastic storage buckets for parts cleaning, spray carb cleaner,and impasct screwdriver ( to remove those stubborn screws)and I used a slide ruler which gave me a good measurment on the floats.
Good luck and keep us posted.
j

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

My 84 had major carb issues from lack of use. PO swore the jets needed shims, he was way off base. Found a local mechanic that rebuilt all four for around $400. I can't believe the difference. I thought I needed new carbs! Now she purrs like a kitten

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Rebuilding your carbs is not that big a deal. Just make sure you get your kit from Randakk or another reputable dealer. Randakk also has a great tutorial on setting your float heights correctly.

http://www.randakks.com/TechTip33.htm

Just remember that the photos refer to the GL1000 but the procedure is the same.

There's no way I would pay anyone to do such a simple job as rebuild my carbs when it can be done yourself in one afternoon. Also, pay particular attention to your needle valves. One of mine had the rubber tip separated from the valve body and it was sitting at the bottom of the screen filter. If you need those, order only the OEM parts. They are pricey but the price of ordering aftermarket needle valves could be more:

http://www.randakks.com/TechTip60.htm

Finally, as I have learned, you can count on the members of this GW community to assist you with any questions, issues, or problems you may have. Believe me, I learned how valuable the people here really are. Welcome to the best GW forum on the planet! :waving:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Thanks William. Thats a great WEB site and great price for the carb. rebuild kit.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

you can get most, of the o-rings (even metric) at a gasket supply house for pennys instead of dollars.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I also had bought a low mileage 86 wing and had the same problems. had carbs rebuilt and was good for a year or so.
i found i have rust in my gas tank and it just fould my carbs again.
What i do know is run marvel mystery oil in with my gas-just a couple of ounces per tank fill up or more if the carbs seem in bad shape.
Another thing i do is turn off the gas **** when bike is not in use cause i found a small amount of gas sometime would over fill my carbs and make its way into the oil and then i would have smoke at start up, if i turn off the gas cok at shut down and open it just before i start the bike i have minimal smoke.
i would try sea foam or marval mystery oil in a few tank fuuls before you do anything- assuming the bike is in running order
sorry for being long winded

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.