Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, firstly my apologies for covering a topic discussed many times previously, but I have dismantled my 1500 carbs and am in the process of gettin''em right..!! (I hope!). I want to adjust the pilot screws to a more "correct" position, or at least check the adjustment.(PO has been "tweaking") Mine is a '93, and has the "D" shaped screws. I have found a tool, which may require minor modification to adjust screws "on bike", on eBay. Just search "pilot screw tool" and we have one, maybe two options there,(designed by and for our Valkyrie cousins I think) relatively cheaply compared to the original 07MMA-MT3010B.
Ordered one tonight and keen to use it. Perhaps this is well known by most, but thought I would share this with you.
Just for my info, can anyone advise please the correct (initial) setting for these screws?, as I have heard several opinions, mostly around 2.5 or 3 full turns out?..does this sound o/k?
Many thanks,
Peter.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

Can you post the ebay link Peter? Thanks.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

I tend to start with 2.5 turns on 90-up 1500s (3 on the prior years)...

You will need to warm the bike (I usually wait till the fans shut off to ensure that the coolant-passesges are fully ot) then balance the carbs (for vacuum draw) then set the rich-drop with the carbs installed then assure that your balance hasn't gone out (it shouldn't, but it's always good to check) -- in order to get the idle and off-idle to run as expected.

The tool in that link would be a booger to use deep into the Goldwing's plastics where the carb's live -- I wonder if you couldn't bore the back of that block and add a set-screw across the bore to accept the tip of a screwdriver to get the reach that you'll need for on-bike adjustment?

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yup good idea satan, have been advised probably not easy for "on bike" adjustment as is, so will take a look when it arrives and "modify" as required, thanks for your idea and advice re. pilot screw position.....

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
imported post

I have heard of this "D" shaped tool and when looking at my bike and the screws. My bike hs regular head screws. Is my bike an odd ball or is it a mixture ou inte field as some had normal screws and some have the D shaped

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi Ghost_Rider, some 1500's came with "regular" screw heads apparently, not sure which years, but I know it's not the ' 93..!!

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

Red Eye Tech is a good vendor...

I've bought several of his things for the Valk over the years...just bought this tool myself along with the carb bowl screws that are not JIS.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

How about posting some pictures, to document your work? (Especially the location of the set screws)

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Well there ya go...Mr Keihin chose mine for a "D" screw just to piss me off..!!! (it worked!)
Will document & pics when adjuster arrives and I get it right !!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Easier way to do IMO. When you have the carbs off cut a slot on the mixture screws and you can use a long screwdriver. Easy and cheap solution.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Easier way to do IMO. When you have the carbs off cut a slot on the mixture screws and you can use a long screwdriver. Easy and cheap solution.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my carbs on my 1996se & of course it has the D shaped idle jet so I just took a dremal & cut a notch so I could use a screw driver on it (cheaper & faster than waiting for a too that I will never use again).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.