Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 83 Aspencade with 91K miles on it. I ride the bike about 70 miles nearly every day to work and back at mostly highway speeds (55-75MPH) most of the way. Very little city riding.

My question is, do I still need to balance the carbs every 5K miles? I have put approx. 15000 miles on the bike and never have. I have noticed lately that when I get home fromwork the bike idles a little choppy. New plugs didn't help. I plan on buying a carb synch. kit soon and was wondering if it's hard to do and how often I need to do it? Do I need to buy any special tools to reach the carb adjustment screwswith? I have the HondaService Manual but was wondering if any one has any tips or tricks? Things to look for?Etc., etc.

Thanks in advance........

Bob

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

No special tools needed. A flat head screwdriver and a spanner for the locknuts. If you have the Honda manual then you really need nothing more. It's not just a question of setting the carbs up on the gauge so they all read the same though, sometimes when you do this the engine will sound rougher than when you started. If this happens, just adjust the carbs to another part of the scale on the gauges until it sound smooth.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Before synching the carbs I would clean and lubricate all carb linkage and also check the tightness off components that could cause a vacuum leak, such as hoses, clamps on manifolds, manifold bolts,throttle shafts, etc.

Once the carbs are synched for idle pull the revs up to about cruising rpm and check the synch at that point, balance the two rpm's and you should get a decent running engine.

Vic

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the replies! I'll be sure to clean everything and find apoint on the gauges to work from where it idles smoothly.

Bob

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

If you can get a decent set of dials, they'll be preferable to mercury sticks. The sticks are a pain to maintain for the infrequent use you'll give them.

Further, if you blip the throttle and the vacuum goes high enough, you'll suck the mercury right through and that would make some very nasty exhaust . . .

Jack

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I think I might agree with you Jack.

Only professionals should use the mercury type carb synch gauges as an amateur could easily suck the mercury out of the tool by accident. The dial type is not nearly as accurate but you can't mess them up through negligent use unless you really try.

Vic

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the advice! I'll look for a set of dial gaugesto buy.:waving:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.