Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, little update on the wing I picked up with broken frame tube at center stand. Wanted to make sure it started and ran before I put any amount of time and money in it. The engine needed a starter and battery. Turned on the fuel and started cranking and it came to life without much problem only the carburetors are leaking fuel bad. I'm sure the float valves are stuck open but a notice a little 1/2 turn valve near the bowl drain screws. What is this valve? Looks like a tiny petcock valve and this is where the fuel is leaking from. Any insight on this is appreciated.

·
Administrator
26,148 Posts
It's something someone added on, didn't come like that.

·
Administrator
26,148 Posts
OH, those are the mixture adjusting screws. After they are set at the factory the caps are put on to limit the amount they can be turned. Obviously the carbs have never been rebuilt. Apply a little heat and the caps will come off then the screw can be removed. Shouldn't be much if any fuel leaking from them no matter what. They do have a small o-ring on them to prevent air from being sucked in around them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OH, those are the mixture adjusting screws. After they are set at the factory the caps are put on to limit the amount they can be turned. Obviously the carbs have never been rebuilt. Apply a little heat and the caps will come off then the screw can be removed. Shouldn't be much if any fuel leaking from them no matter what. They do have a small o-ring on them to prevent air from being sucked in around them.
Thanks Dave,
Actually I got doing more investigating and found the fuel line from the pump to the carburetor to be solid as a rock. Fuel was leaking from around the inlet nipple and running down all over. The adjustment caps were the lowest point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts