Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a question about gold wing carbs. I just purchased a 1984 Aspencade with 27k
miles that had been in storage for 12 years. A mess for sure. I have cleaned out the carbs twice, got the bike running, did my best to sync the carbs but I am still getting a
little spit and pop from the intake at light throttle. It starts up and runs fine except for
the spit and pop. Perhaps a lean condition? Maybe the carb slides are sticking?

Thanks Steve and all you other great folks out there.

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
imported post

Try running some seafoam thruogh her and see if that clears her up.Also what condition are your spark plugs in?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,596 Posts
imported post

Perhaps there's still an air leak? With the bike running, spray some carb cleaner around the down tube connections and any place else where unwanted air might get in.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

Another way to check for vacuum leaks is to use an UN-LIT propane torch. the engine will suck the propane in through the leak and RPMs will increase. Looking at the plugs after a short idle will give you an idea of which cylinders is acting up. It's also helpful to hold your hands about 2" away from the the ends of the exhaust. If one side feels cooler than the other that will also help point you in the right direction. It's low tech old school stuff but it works

Steve

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hey guys.
Yes, I wondered about vacuum leaks and I already tried the carb cleaner trick.
Not much happened there. A really tiny change from the throttle shaft on the
right side carbs.
Back in the day when I was an automotive tech, we used to do the propane
fuel enrichment procedure. I remember that.
What is seafoam? Never heard of it.
Is there any chance that one of the carb slides might be sticking and causing
a lean condition in that one carb? What do you guys think?
It sure goes like hell when I get on it.

Thanks
Oldfart66

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,596 Posts
imported post

Seafoam is fuel system cleaner. It ain't the cheapest. Any cleaner should work if there's a little something in a jet or some water in the bowls.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Is it a pop, like a backfire or more like a cough ?

Jim

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

It's a pop like a backfire through one of the carbs. Only at
partial throttle. Not at idle. I took it for another ride this afternoon and it happens at light throttle at slow speeds. I was in 3rd gear about 30 mph and it pops pretty
regularly. Give it some gas and no more pop.
Something is lean I would guess.

Thanks
Oldfart66

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I got some seafoam today and put the suggested amount in the
gas tank. See what happens after I ride it for a while.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

When you had the carbs. off did you remove and clean the slides and needles and all the jets ? I removed and cleaned my carbs, all the above, and still ran lousy, took forever to run without choke and sputtered and coughed until i got the rpm's up.Once i got a good carb. sync. it runs smooth as a sewing machine after that. I knew the sync. was important but would not have believed how much of a difference it made.

Jim

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

ps. I made my own gauges,but was able to borrow a set of Morgans to do the sync.

Jim

Attachments

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
imported post

My 1200 used to take forever to warm up and also spit and sputtered but after the first application of seafoam (carbs previosly cleaned)she smoothed right out and took alot less time to warm up.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I did a little more checking today. A guy at the local bike shop suggested I try to locate the cylinder that is running lean by firing up the bike and then feel the exhaust pipes to see which one was colder. I tried that and found #2 was a bit
off. And, yes, when I had the carbs off, I cleaned everything that I could think of. Yes, did the carb slides. And Drilled out the plugs to access the pilot screws. Coincidentally, when I was checking the pilot screw adjustment today, #2 has almost no response. So, that is tomorrow's project. I like the idea of a sticky carb slide causing a lean condition under a light throttle but I wonder could there be a problem with the vacuum getting to that carb slide? Maybe there is a restriction? Or, maybe I need to take the carbs off and clean them again. Yikes. I am gonna run out of good riding weather at the rate I am going. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

My original problem was similar and the reason i pulled my carbs ( after i paid someone else to do ).i found #2 was not firing at low rpm, i found the idle jet was clogged and the float levels were off.But i know you have had them off and cleaned, just thought and hope this helps !

Jim

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Amazingly enough, I also have a problem with No.2 carb. I did the touch test yesterday on the exhaust pipes and that is the one colder than the others. And the pilot screw circuit does not respond. So, yes thanks for the suggestion. I will have to get into the carbs again. I went through those things with carb cleaner, a small piece of copper wire and compressed air but anything is possible. As much as I don't want to remove them again, I want the bike to run properly. I do have a little bit of summer left here in N.California. Hopefully

Thanks Jim, I will keep you posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.