Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The bike won't idle properly. I've been told that the "main throttle shaft" (butterfly shaft) leaks (sucks) air. Parts "kit" unavailable from Honda. Have COMPLETELY rebuilt carbs w/in last 2 weeks.

Option(s)?: replace carbs or ?
repair/replace seals/bushings? If so, with what?

What other year GW's carbs can I use.

Am getting increasingly discouraged.:gunhead:
:baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Not my elbow, but looks painful - like trying to get the wing to run properly.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

You can only use 75-77 carbs. 78 onward changed, starting with 31mm carb downsize. I'm not sure you can re-seal that butterfly shaft. Go to this site to find exploded diagrams and part #s for the carbs. Carb assembly parts are probably discontinued, so you may be looking at getting a set of used ones. http://www.goldwinginfo.dds.nl/index.html

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Mag is right about the change in carb size starting with the '78, but all of them will bolt right on, including any GL1100 carbs. Some people use the 1100 carbs because they seem to be less fussy than the original GL1000 carbs.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

It loks like I'll have to either ask a friend to make some bushings - use up a favor, damn it, or hope for luck on a rack of carbs from a bone yard.

Is the linkage the same on a GL1100 or does it need some external influence to fit?
:bash2:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Olecranon wrote:
It loks like I'll have to either ask a friend to make some bushings - use up a favor, damn it, or hope for luck on a rack of carbs from a bone yard.

Is the linkage the same on a GL1100 or does it need some external influence to fit.
Bushing it shouldn't be difficult,if you can remove the throttle disks and get the throttle shaft out.If you can do that it's a matter ofdrilling the hole over sized andtapping in a brass or bronze or oillite bushing with a little loctite. once it's in you ream or drill the final shaft clearance and reassemble. Bushings are available from lots of sources, a shop that repairs motors and starters often have stock, a large hardware store often does, and you can find them on the net. I've made a couple bronze bushings out of a bronze bolt, turned it down with only an electric drill, made a good set of bearings for a sailboat self steerer I built. Look it over and see if it's possible.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Olecranon wrote:
Would carbs from a '80 GL1100 fit the '77 GL1000?
They should bolt right on.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

you can also use a piece of heatshrink tubing(or two, one on top of the other). also teflon hose lining material will work if you can find it.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Lots of people have GL1100 carbs on their GL1000s. It's not always the perfect solution but does make the bike idle better. I've read a good few posts about this here in the last year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.