Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The cassette player (on "Silver Streak", my 1998 SE) ate my cassette tape over the weekend. Now when I insert a tape, I only hear a clicking noise. The silver lining is that I've finally decided to go with an MP3 player....in the meantime, how do I get the tape player working again?

Thanks in advance.....

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

If you can find one, a wet tape cleaner may get you by. It resembles a standard cassette, but is filled with a cloth type ribbon. You apply a few drops of isopropyl alcohol to the cassette and play as usual. This is much easier than trying to fish a Q-tip all over the capstans and drive rollers.

But the clicking noise could be from the drive/engagement slipping, this could be worn drive belts and will require removal and teardown for replacement...

You may find the cleaning tape at Wally-World, the belts may require a trip to radio shack or a stereo repair shop... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

There may be a piece of tape caught inside allowing the cam follower to lock in place which would give you that clicking noise.. It's telling the player to keep reversing... Take a good look inside and make sure you got all the tape out, then, run the cleaner.. :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.