Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologise if this is redundant. I need the castle nut socket to check the torque on my steering stem nut on my 85 GL1200. Seeing some very expensive sockets out there. Anybody have a reasonably priced option? Also not even sure of the size? Thanks and thanks for this great forum.....

·
Administrator
27,158 Posts
A lot of people make their own by grinding a regular 12 point socket. Not sure of the size, I'll see if I can find it.
Seems to be a 36mm, 1 7/16 is the same size.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, that would give me an excuse to replace my Dremel that burnt up a while ago! Thanks for the suggestion..

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is the one I bought in '16...

·
Premium Member
3,329 Posts
I bought one from DHS Racing. It was $30 including shipping. It is advertised on his site as being for a GL1800 but it fits several other model Goldwings as well.
DHS Racing

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You would be there a good while with a Dremel. An angle grinder would be a better option. Even a cheapo Horror Fright one for $10 would do the job.

·
Administrator
27,158 Posts
You would be there a good while with a Dremel. An angle grinder would be a better option. Even a cheapo Horror Fright one for $10 would do the job.
Yep. The price of that and a socket to make it from would pay for the right tool.

·
Registered
477 Posts
There is a DIY on Gpldwing doc's that show's how to make the socket. You have to measure and mark the socket first then grind. Mine works but it could have been more precise if I had taken my time. Remember once the metal is gone it is gone.. Take your time.
IMG_1217.JPG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts