Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

In about 6 months or so, I'm going to go on a year long dissapearance from my family and I wish to take my kitty with me. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a cage that can be placed in the passenger's seat of my Goldwing Honda that will protect my cat from escaping and/or get whisker-whipped durring my long journey. Please help me out!

=^-^=

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Have you ever taken kitty for a short ride, even in your car? Is your cat laid back or does it get nervous around new environments? I'd hate to see you get ready to go and disappear and have your pal get really upset. Can you imagine what it would be like to have the run of the house and then be stuck in a 2'x2'x2' box, not being able to see out very well and being bounced up and down, for hours on end? I'm not trying to be mean and I wish you and your pal well. But, do you get where I'm coming from? Plus, potty breaks, food and water are an issue as well.

I hope someone on this board will give you a more positive approach, but I just can't recommend taking kitty on an extended ride.

I wish you and your kitty well. I hope you can come to a acceptable solution.

Hobie

P.S. thought I'd tone the note down a bit in size.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I have 2 cats hanging out next to me as I type, one is sleeping on a box and the other one is sleeping in a box. Cats are not nomads, insteadthey bond with their enviornment. Kinda like plants they put down roots, mark their territory and for better or worse that's where they want to be.

Cats are not dogs, and from my 45 years of cat husbandry I would never consider taking one for a road trip.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Cheria! :waving:

I wouldn't want to take a cat along either but, I did see a small soft sided pet carrier in a store recently (Wal-Mart, :baffled:Big Lots, ?) somewhere. It looked like it would fit on the back seat just fine. I carry a soft sided, multi compartment, cooler in the center type bag on my rear seat 70 miles to and from work. Have beenfor two years and have never came close to losing it. Even in high cross winds.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Just get him a little "Hang Glider" and fifty foot of rope tied to the seat, at least that way he'll have fun instead of being in "Jail" !:clapper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The woman who hangs around here and I used to take our cat with us when we flew our Cessna 180 between Northern Alaska and Tacoma, WA. He did pretty well, didn't like full power operation like take offs, but once the throttle was back to cruise he'd settle down. If the weather was cool he'd lay inthat womans'lap in the right seat. You don't need to worry about a seat belt for them either, when the air got rough you'd need a crowbar to get him off you. Got a good grip, cats do.

That cat was used to travel though, we took him with us from the time he was weaned. You might want to ask your cat if he'd like to go with you first. Take him for a car ride and see what happens. I'm afraid you're going to end up with a very neurotic cat if he's any older than a kitten. As for a cage, why not just tie on of the usual plastic animal transporter boxes like used on the airlines to your bike? They are cheap at Wally World. I'd recommend the smallest possible so the cat can brace itself against being knocked around, also you'll have to be careful it doesn't get too hot or cold for the critter. Be careful when you open the box, you may see a blur which will be your kitty heading for parts elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

I like cats and it seems it would be a torture treatment for the cat. Even a laid back cat gets very unrelaxed when bounced around in a cage. Make arrangements for the cat to stay somewhere for a year. poor kitty Not to mention, the chances of loosing the cat would be extreemly high.

.:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Cheria wrote:
In about 6 months or so, I'm going to go on a year long dissapearance from my family and I wish to take my kitty with me. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a cage that can be placed in the passenger's seat of my Goldwing Honda that will protect my cat from escaping and/or get whisker-whipped durring my long journey. Please help me out!

=^-^=
Cheria, I think what you want to do could be done but IT really depends on theCAT & his/her disposition.. We have 2 cats, one is just a small skittish tabby that is afraid of her own shadow & taking that cat on a bike ride would be torture for both the cat & the rider.. On the other hand, the other cat we own is a rather large Main-**** cat that loves to ride around my property on my 4 wheeler with me. While I haven't ever tried, I swear that cat would sit behind me on a motorcycle & stare at people in the cars we passed.

There are all kinds of cat carriers & even some semi hard motorcycle luggage that could be adapted to what you would like to do. Maybe start with the cat riding in the carrier in an automobile then work up to a very short motorcycle ride. I have found that keeping a cat from looking out the side of anything moving goes a long way towards keeping the cat from getting car sick.. They tend to fixate on objects outside the moving vehicle so get disoriented while traveling at speed. I have traveled with many cats in my lifetime & usually the less they are allowed to look out the window the better they ride. My wife had a cat years ago that was a terrible rider & we traveled a lot back then, when we had to take the cat alongwe would give the cat a small piece of a Valium pill & it would travel like a champ (check with your vet before doing this though)..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Heck Twisty, give me a Valium or three and I travel quite well thankyou very much:cool:.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Sammie is one of those siamese cats. She sometimes hiches a ride in one of my side bags when I need to go walking somewhere or ride the bicycle somewhere and she takes that pretty well. Sometimes she will poke her head out to see the world then burrow back inside. She has yet to try and jump out or run away 'cause she hates being away from me.

I know it might sound like a cruel thing to do to her but the last time I went on a trip for about a month, she almost died 'cause she missed me and wouldn't eat. When I came home, she jumped right into my arms and meowed and purred for hours as I tried to get her off of me to eat. She pulled through that pretty well but since then, I never want to risk that senario again. She is my world right now and I would be quite lost without her.

So thus, I wish to take her along. That is why I'm trying to get advice here so that I might make the long journey easier on her. Food is no problem. Water and potty breaks are the same, those I've worked out long ago, but I am concerned about her getting motion sickness and to hot. I can keep her warm but I don't know how to keep her cool without the force of the wind hurting her.

I know that I won't be on my motorcycle the WHOLE year, just long enough to find a place to live the life of solitude I crave, without my mom and dad trying to come to my aid thinking I need help when I don't. Don't get me wrong, I love my parents, I just wish they would let me make my own choices and mistakes, so as to learn from them and try again with a bit more knowledge than before, ya know what I mean? I think I may just end up at a riend's house for a while before heading north to visit the rest of the family or something.

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Cheria!:waving::waving:

Just noticed the topic was your first post!

So get a small transport cage, strap it on the back seat and go. A vet will prescribe a sedative if needed should the cat become too nervous. I'd also recommend a leash and harness in case she gets startled or scared and hies off for the horizon. One of our cats back in 1970 was a good traveler as I said so maybe yours will be too. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks So much! I know that I've got half a year to prepare but it's good to be ready, right?

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

While my current feline mistress, Miss Chief,would never ride in on or about any vehicle, (Manx); I used to have a psychotic Burmese feline master, Chong, who started riding with me of his own accord. I finally set him up with his own piece of carpet on the tank which he would lay on top of and sleep for mile after mile. Whenever I stopped, he would go cat around, (I believe we started a Burmese explosion); but would always come back when I whistled, cranked up and sounded the horn. His mounting technique precluded my wearing of shorts, but other than that, absolutel no probelm.

Now Miss Chief on the other hand is as likely to climb up my arm drawing blood every inch for feeding her as she is to come rub against my leg to ask forgiveness. She WILL NOT sit in anyones lap and as my sis found out will protest anylap attempt quite physically. I do not care if she is locked in a safe and chained with hobble and shackles, I do not want her on a motorcycle with me!! (By the way, Miss Chief looks exactly like a miniature Lynx)

I would say, use a solid carrier, not soft, with a very secure door latch mechanism. Chain the cat securely inside the carrier until you areabsolutely certainthat adaptation is 100%The last thing you want is a crazed cat climbing and clinging to the only familiar object in sight should the containment fail. That familiar object will be YOU.

I need to ask sis, there used to be pictures of Chong and I riding somewhere.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

84wing wrote:
no comment
Ah, another contented grip fringe owner! Chin fringes too!

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Cheria wrote:
Thanks So much! I know that I've got half a year to prepare but it's good to be ready, right?
Could Sammie ride her own bike?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Cheria, That "Wolf" in your "Avatar" isn't chasing a "Cat" is it?!:baffled:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.