Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

From a really bad experience, you should REALLY think 1st before performing the commonly expressed practice of raising the needles using shim washers and Loctite on the reatainer screws. Here's my observation and story:

- The shims made it too rich (at least on an 83 GL1100) that was really running perfectly. I should of left it alone.

- When trying to remove the screw to put it back to stock, the Loctite was so strong that one of the retainer screw slots sheared. Maybe if I was patient enough with laquer thinner in the cavity it would have been OK, but I ended up ruining the slide.

The situation sucks. Two used part places I called don't bother to answer or have funky answering service. Can't even leave message. If anyone knows of a good parts source for GL1100 carb parts, would greatly appreciate it. (Of course, Honda doesn't show the slide or needles on microfiche; therefore NLA.

Corey

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

Corey, if you will look on the for sale forum there's a thread from JURYK dated 12 Sept. It is titled selling my 1980 GL1100 on ebay. He has some extra carbs if he hasn't already sold them...Hope this helps....... Jim

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I never had a problem with my pistons, loktite, or the retaining screws. You have to realize that the retaining screws are made from aluminum, and use the nice, undamaged or un-worn screwdriver with a lot of pressure.

There's a lot of carbs on ebay...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

A soldering iron pressed on a screw or nut with locktite will soften and help the screw release easier. Use the blue 242 if you ever want to free the screw up again, the red and green will be a lot harder to get loose.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Damn - what a brilliant idea re. the soldering iron! I got so pissed at the whole mess I bought a demo 2004 GL1800. Still will hope to finish ressurecting this old GL1100 (notwithstanding my stupid screwup with the retainer screw) and make sure it gets a new home, or maybe bring it back to naked stock. I'll bet they're pretty sporty without aftermarket full fairing, bags, and bag trim.

·
Registered
517 Posts
imported post

I had one with only a plexifairing and it was a lot of fun to ride; a lot sportier than most people would ever expect out of a GW. Old GW guru's know that the GL1000 was originally intended to be Honda's answer to the Kaw Z1 and suzuki's GS1000 (although they weren't near as fast as either of those bikes.)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

corey wrote:
Damn - what a brilliant idea re. the soldering iron! I got so pissed at the whole mess I bought a demo 2004 GL1800.
Man, I wish I could get that pissed!:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

You casn get various grades of Loctite. The different colors specify how strong they are, with I think red being the strongest.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
corey wrote:
Damn - what a brilliant idea re. the soldering iron! I got so pissed at the whole mess I bought a demo 2004 GL1800.
Man, I wish I could get that pissed!:goofygrin:
If I get that pissed my head will explode.:grinner:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.