Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Can all cb antenna be used for fm radio as well. I got a gl1100 that came with the antenna mounts but no whips. I am going to add a cb later so should I just get cb whips? The wire had a regular radio plug on the end so could I even put a cb whip on there and use it as a cb / radio antenna?

Thanks

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Combination am/fm/cb antennas are made (tuned) for that purpose. Using a cb antenna for am/fm would be less than ideal, but would probably work to some extent (whereas using an am/fm antenna for cb would not work). In all cases, using the proper signal splitter would be necessary. Incidently, the antenna bracket is still available (I just got one from chromeworld) and is the same for both sides... my suggestion would be to at least get the proper am/fm/cb antenna (also available) or separate antennas...

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

What kind of connector do the brkt you got from chromeworld have. Is it a radio type or cb type? Can I put a cb whip on my mounts. They have the regular radio conector.

Thanks for you help.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

triump wrote:
What kind of connector do the brkt you got from chromeworld have. Is it a radio type or cb type? Can I put a cb whip on my mounts. They have the regular radio conector.

Thanks for you help.
The connector comes with the antenna, not the bracket... I suspect that what is left of yours is the bottom most section of the antenna.... HERE is the antenna I got, and the splitter is not included... for about the price of a splitter (I actually don't know how much or where to get one, but haven't tried to find one either), you could probably buy another antenna.. in your situation, I might just get two of these.. but then I care (too much) about what it looks like... one of these and the other ordinary cb will work and is what many others have done

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

triump wrote:
Ok. that clears alot up. what type of connector came with the antenna you got from chromworld.

Thanks
Itcame (like the OEM) withthe type that is used with normal am/fm radios (Not the normal PL RF type used on most cb radios...), but Iam cutting it off and putting the regular PL typeon to use with an aftermarket CB... (or you could use an adapter if you didn't want to work with the cable..)

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

If you want to go with then oem combo antenna then here's the splitter you need.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SIE-CP-27F

I'm actually running separate radio and a firestik 5 ft cb antenna with no splitter at all. Sierra Electronics also has the adapter cables needed for a swr meter to match the cable ends for the oem combo antenna and splitter.

BTY, the cable ends on these are commonly referred to as Motorola ends.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Here's the way mine is set up now with the separate antenna's. Notice that I moved them down to the saddlebag rails and moved the 16" light sticks up to the matching antenna mounts. This way I was able to use a folding adapter for the 5' cb antenna and not have to cut a hole in the bike cover for it to stick up through and also make it easier to get into the storage building to work on.

Here's the fold over adapter installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.