1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey gang,

97SECB grounding question.

I get the point of braided copper wire and to go to the bike frame under the seat but where does the other end attach?

The antenna mount is just that, a mount for the base, I don't see a ground for the base at all where it connects behind the arm rest pocket.Should one be attached here???

The CB cable comes out the middle inside of the base and goes directly under the seat and plugs into a connector that then runs to the back of the CB. I don't see where a ground wire could be attached along this path.

Mybike has the small vertical plate in the trunk, should I use one of these mounting screws to attach the copper braided wire to?

Also considering putting a foil plate in the trunk under the carpet and attaching that to one of the plate mounts.

What am I missing? :baffled:
Toy4Rick

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi normaly you have a grounding plate with the aerial on the left of the picture if no plate you can run a cable from one of the mounting bolts to the frame but you need to cheque the swr to be safe

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the reply,

I ended up running a ground wire from each base mounting bolt to the frame under the seat. Will check the SWR tomorrow.

Also, added analuminum plateunder the carpet in the trunk and attached it to the trunk boltat the bottom of the CB mount plate.

Thanks again
Toy4Rick

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

toy4rick wrote:
Hey gang,

97SE CB grounding question.

I get the point of braided copper wire and to go to the bike frame under the seat but where does the other end attach?

The antenna mount is just that, a mount for the base, I don't see a ground for the base at all where it connects behind the arm rest pocket.  Should one be attached here???

The CB cable comes out the middle inside of the base and goes directly under the seat and plugs into a connector that then runs to the back of the CB.  I don't see where a ground wire could be attached along this path.

My bike has the small vertical plate in the trunk, should I use one of these mounting screws to attach the copper braided wire to?

Also considering putting a foil plate in the trunk under the carpet and attaching that to one of the plate mounts.

What am I missing? :baffled:
Toy4Rick
1800's go to the trunk mounting bolt for their grounding

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hey gang,

After grounding, I got my SWR down to 1.3 on channel 1, 1.4 on channel 40 and 1.2 on channel 20, not bad.

Thanks a bunch
Toy4Rick

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

toy4rick wrote:
Hey gang,

After grounding, I got my SWR down to 1.3 on channel 1, 1.4 on channel 40 and 1.2 on channel 20, not bad.

Thanks a bunch
Toy4Rick

OUTSTANDING !!...SWR below 1.5 is great....especially on a motorcycle.:cool:......less SWR, less heat build up in the circuitry, more radiated power through the antennae.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Those are excellent readings for a bike using an antenna feeding through a signal splitter. I was always happy to get a 1.2 on all channels with my car setup, which was rare.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

mmonsterbuck wrote:
bagmaster, how did u check swr
Checking the SWR of a cb radio is pretty simple once you've done it a couple of times with a good SWR meter. The absolute best you can get and hope to achieve is a 1:1 ratio SWR reading. I've only done it on 3 radios in my life time, 2 base stations and 1 mobile. Usually anything below 1.5:1 is good.

Here's a good explanation and instructions for checking and adjusting SWR.

http://www.firestik.com/Meas-SWR.htm

Using the information and instructions on that site will get you started.

Now doing the early model Wings using the antenna splitter will require some additional cables to check the SWR as the meter needs to be between the radio and the splitter. The antenna output on the radio side to the cb and the am/fm radio are RCA style male jacks. Standard cb jacks and plug are PL259 fittings, hence the special cables to do a Wing's system. I was a die hard cb'er long before I got into bikes.

I even still have my old SWR meter, a big stick base antenna, a 90 watt mobile linier amplifier and my mobile 40 channel single sideband Realistic radio. Somebody stole both power mics I had for it. A Turner 2+2 modified base mic and a modified mobile Realistic power mic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.