Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My Aspy came with the radio only. I was recently looking at an 82parts bike. The radio on it was identical to mine except that it also had the CB and the intercom. Now I know that what I see on the fairing is only the controller unit. He wanted $100 for that. I believe that I need the CB module from somewhere in the recesses of the fairing to make the CB functional. The CB antenna might also be a good idea. What I don't know is if there is also a similar module for the intercom.

If I persuade this guy to part with the controller unit for $100 (CDN), what else should I be trying to scoop.

Apart from looking cool, I don't think I have need for the CB radio. The intercom might be something I would be interested in getting to work.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Aspy's should have come from the factory with radio, intercom, and CB - so if yours has only the radio, someone has removed the other parts.

Now what you need to find out is, just how much was removed.

You need to remove the left front turn signal, and the left fairing pocket.

If you look into the hole left by the turn signal, down and to the left, you should be seeing a component terminal. This is a thin (about 1 inch thick) box with a line of 5 or 6 5-pin DIN sockets along the left hand side (left side of the bike), that have cables plugged into them.

If you have the component terminal, that means you have the intercom - it's built into it. All you need is the controller for it.

Next, look underneath the left fairing pocket, at the bottom of the fairing. You should see a silver box. This is the antenna splitter. You'll see one antenna wire that runs from the radio, and one antenna wire that runs to the antenna. You should see one more that runs nowhere. This is for the CB.

If you have all of this, you need:

- CB transmitter module - fits in front of the tuner, on the right side of the bike

- CB control module - fits on the left side near the radio controls

- CB display panel - shows what channel you're on

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

For your Aspencade you will need the Intercom component terminal and all related parts in order to add the CB. If you look at the parts list here you will know what is needed. http://tinyurl.com/cl98qe

You may also note that Honda never added a CB as standard equipment until the 94SE thru 2000SE, all others were either dealer or customer installed.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

On my system the intercom unit piggy-backs onto the distribution component unit. And if you don't get the power sub-harness that powers all of the components you'll have problems powering everything up.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Aspy's should have come from the factory with radio, intercom, and CB - so if yours has only the radio, someone has removed the other parts.
:waving:The Aspencades ('82 & '83)came standard with only the am/fm radio and the rest of the Type II system was optional.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
On my system the intercom unit piggy-backs onto the distribution component unit. And if you don't get the power sub-harness that powers all of the components you'll have problems powering everything up.
:waving:The early component terminals did not have the piggy back amp but the bike still had CB and Intercom and a cassette deck also could be added. The improved component terminal with the piggy back ALC amp came out in 1983 and many of the earlier systems were upgraded. The piggy back ALC amplifier is not the intercom.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

83GoldWinger wrote:
Bagmaster wrote:
:waving:The early component terminals did not have the piggy back amp but the bike still had CB and Intercom and a cassette deck also could be added. The improved component terminal with the piggy back ALC amp came out in 1983 and many of the earlier systems were upgraded. The piggy back ALC amplifier is not the intercom.
Ok, here's my distribution box with the intercom box attached and plugged into it. It's not an amp and is labeled as the intercom unit.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:The unit that's piggy back on the component terminal is an amp. Look at the image below which is from the component kit installation manual. I bought the system new and did the installation. I have all the original manuals for the Type II audio system and am quite familiar with what's in the system.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Mine came with those instructions too as mine was NIB. I just never paid much attention to the labels, just the component locations and wiring. So, what does ALC stand for anyways?

Is it just an amp for boosting output to the headsets or what?

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:The image below is page 1 of the Component Kit installation manual and notice the issue date which is 1983.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I'll have to check the date on mine. I'll tell one thing, it's a bugger to install all of it from scratch, and now I have a better fairing I'm gonna have to transfer it all into.

Hey, I just thought of something, my box didn't have the templates for any of it in it. Do you still have yours? I sure could use a copy of them if you do.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:I've never been able to find out what "ALC" stands for. I asked the dealers etc. and nobody could tell me what the heck it means. Apparently it is for the headset output as the cable from the ALC amp plugs into the H-Sposition of the component terminal and then the headset plugs into the ALC amp. I've only had one problem with the system and that was with the CB. Sent it to Sierra early last year for repair. Reinstalled it shorltly after I got it back and has worked great since. I also have the Super Sound option which is a booster amp. & I've only seen one other GL1100 that had this option.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
I'll have to check the date on mine. I'll tell one thing, it's a bugger to install all of it from scratch, and now I have a better fairing I'm gonna have to transfer it all into.

Hey, I just thought of something, my box didn't have the templates for any of it in it. Do you still have yours? I sure could use a copy of them if you do.
:waving:I've been looking all over for the templates and don't know where I put them and I know I didn't throw them away. When I installed my Type II system I removed the fairing and brought it in the house and took my time doing the installation. Sure is a lot of wiring in the fairing if you have 100% of the Type II system.

You have the improved component terminalwhich came out for the '83 models and also was a retrofit for the '82.The Type II could also be installed on the '80 and '81 GL1100.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Once I got all of mine installed it turned out the speaker amp had low power on the left channel. Lucky I had another one to use that's good so far. Now my cb is not wanting to transmit so I may have to send it off.

It'd sure be nice if you could find those templates as a lot of people could've used them over the last year or two.

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

Hey Bagman:
I had issues with my CB not x-mitting, but it would receive. Turned out the x-mit switch was all crapped up. I took it apart and cleaned it, and it was much better.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Now my cb is not wanting to transmit so I may have to send it off.

It'd sure be nice if you could find those templates as a lot of people could've used them over the last year or two.
:waving:In my case the problem with the CB with no transmit was a defective capacitor which Sierra replaced and aligned the unit to factory specs.

Took awhile to find all the Type II manuals and everything else with the exception of the templates. Hope to run across them one of these days.

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
imported post

83GoldWinger wrote:
:waving:I've never been able to find out what "ALC" stands for. I asked the dealers etc. and nobody could tell me what the heck it means. Apparently it is for the headset output as the cable from the ALC amp plugs into the H-Sposition of the component terminal and then the headset plugs into the ALC amp. I've only had one problem with the system and that was with the CB. Sent it to Sierra early last year for repair. Reinstalled it shorltly after I got it back and has worked great since. I also have the Super Sound option which is a booster amp. & I've only seen one other GL1100 that had this option.
I think ALC is the Automatic Level Controller. If I am not mistaken it raises the volume when the bike is running at faster speeds and lowers the volume when you stop the bike so as not to blast you out with noise. I notice it working on my external speakers more than my headset.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

ThFireman wrote:
83GoldWinger wrote:
I think ALC is the Automatic Level Controller. If I am not mistaken it raises the volume when the bike is running at faster speeds and lowers the volume when you stop the bike so as not to blast you out with noise. I notice it working on my external speakers more than my headset.
If that's the case and I think it is, then I have no need for it as my bike is an 82 Interstate with no type of speed sensor for it to work off of. So I may take it out of the system completely and save it for a time some one needs one for their 83 ASPY.

I'll test the headsets hooked up the normal way to the distribution box first and if they work fine then I'll take the ALC unit out of the system.

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

ALC component had nothing to do with bikes speed, it has to do with the mic level as the early non ALC units had a lot of problem with different mic impedance levels and this helped with that problem. The 84 and newer Aspencade had auto volume control that worked on the fairing speakers due to being connected to the amplifier and controlled by the electronic pick up of the front wheel, the interstate did not have this feature even though the control was installed by customers and dealers it did nothing. This AVC did not work for the headsets. The AVC that worked for both the headsets and external speakers wasn't incorporated till the 88 1500.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Wayne wrote:
ALC component had nothing to do with bikes speed, it has to do with the mic level as the early non ALC units had a lot of problem with different mic impedance levels and this helped with that problem. The 84 and newer Aspencade had auto volume control that worked on the fairing speakers due to being connected to the amplifier and controlled by the electronic pick up of the front wheel, the interstate did not have this feature even though the control was installed by customers and dealers it did nothing. This AVC did not work for the headsets. The AVC that worked for both the headsets and external speakers wasn't incorporated till the 88 1500.
So, based on what you're saying it'd be best if I leave it in the system to compensate for the mic impedence from the 2 different headsets I have? One is a Hondaline(labeled as being made by J&M for Honda) and the other is an older Autocomm.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.