Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Pretty much the same set I bought, back when I was getting RFI from a USB charger in the truck. Helped some, the closer I got it to the end of the cable the better, and I had to loop the cable through it twice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
the closer I got it to the end of the cable the better, and I had to loop the cable through it twice.

Thank you Both, Great Info... Just ordered a set to see if I can improve the issue

Just to be clear by "the end of the cable the better" you are referring to being closer to the LED light or other such device being powered and not closer to the (battery) power source.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Typically those are placed on the item you wish to reduce the noise on.
In other words, on the cb antenna coax, and the cb power and control lines.
What they do in simple terms, is soak up the offending radio frequency from the outside of the coax and hopefully block it from getting into the receiver

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
322 Posts
By "end of the cable" I meant the end of any cable closest to, and going into the device suffering the interference.

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
don't try to put a toroid on the antenna coax.
that is not where the problem is anyway, and it will kink the coax....

Unless, you have the split half type toroids.....
and those are only used on extremely high power transmitters anyway.
the KiloWatt types.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes, these are the split toroids.

Out of curiosity, I went out to the garage and turned the key on, then selected CB. I live in a very remote area, so there's nobody likely to be transmitting, on any channel.

During my cross-country trip last year I had already replaced the low beams with ECs and the driving lights with SoCalMotoGear PathFinder LEDs, and I apparently had the squelch set to 6 (that's what it was set at, and I haven't used the CB since somewhere in New Mexico). Now with the addition of having the high beams replaced with ECs the CB is full static at 6, intermittent static at 7, and silent at 8.

Not a perfect example of the scientific method, I know, but it's what I got.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sounds about what mine are like now with all the ferrite chokes in place... Still working on a solution for FRS radio on the bike but away from home for a while now... Have the audio interfaced into headset successfully but still have to integrate the mic audio... If I'm successful, I'll post the mod...

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm thinking the Sena SR10 is the ticket for FRS / GMRS, or is it just for CB for some reason?

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I want to be able to use FRS and hand a unit to a buddy and have him plug it into his 5 pin DIN headset and use it with his existing setup... Think it's doable, at least on my bike as I am using electret mic's... Not sure if dynamic's will work, but will continue on with experiment when I return home in a few weeks... Been working out details in my head for a while - getting close to trying it on my bike...

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Dadztoy, I watching to see what you end up with. Sounds like using the ferrite chokes has really helped. I ran the 50 watts equ leds on the lower lights on the gl1500 se and never picked any addition noises. My 1800 trike had a J&M single fiberglass antenna on the rear thats is for am/fm cb with a box under the seat to run to the am/fn and one lead to the cb. I dont have a cb on the 2012 goldwing. So I saving my dpllar for one.

Thanks for what you and the other guys are doing and I will be watching.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well, guess I could always just pull the 15A fuse for the low beams and just ride with my modulator on the hi beams and my fog lights but I would still like to have that FRS solution... FM just offers so much more in the way of clarity and interference free operation...

I tried a cheap set of BT headsets and they didn't work that well... From what my Sena owning buddies tell me they are not ideal either in volume or clarity, so for the time being I'll stay with my old corded headsets and keep working on the FRS solution...

Actually, I don't even use the CB radio that much, but it's just the principal of the thing - it should work with the LED headlights... Frustrating at best!!!

Les (WA9QYK)

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've used the Sena SMH-10's for years with my wife, snowmobiling through dense woods and over and around corners and hills. They work amazingly far away from each other, and the sound is great.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yeah, Ive heard that the SMH10's were the best... My friends are using Sena 20S and aren't that satisfied with them... My other issue is I'm pretty hard of hearing and I don't wear my aids on the bike as they amplify too much wind noise, so I need a BT headset that pumps out as much audio as possible...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts