Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been said before or asked before but I am new here and I am getting really frustrated with my CB now.

So my husband and got our Goldwing a few months ago without CB mics (no big deal we ordered some) we got ours in and nothing. We can talk to each other just fine but when we talk to other people it sounds like we are from Mars or something. We cleaned everything in and around the antenna and still nothing. We can hear everyone just fine but no one understands us! So what was the next thing to do...go buy a new antenna kit which we did and we installed it and now NOTHING!! We can't hear anyone and they can not hear us. What are we missing?

·
Magic Moderator
4,206 Posts
I have tried and I do not see where to do that at.
Are you using a phone or computer? or you can post your location bike info, city and state and one of the moderators can fill it in for you.
If the CB worked prior to the antenna change, you may want to reinstall it and find a CB shop (usually at truck stops) to tune the set up with an SWR meter.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
If you could receive CB calls with the "old antenna" and now can't with the "new antenna", that indicates something happened with the install of the new antenna.

Have you made sure the antenna mount is grounded good....??

Have you tried connecting a ground wire from one of the antenna mounting bolts to a ground on the frame....??

Have you cleaned the antenna connection (cable) good where it plugs in.....??

Just a couple items to check before going further...........!!

I am sure this has been said before or asked before but I am new here and I am getting really frustrated with my CB now.

So my husband and got our Goldwing a few months ago without CB mics (no big deal we ordered some) we got ours in and nothing. We can talk to each other just fine but when we talk to other people it sounds like we are from Mars or something. We cleaned everything in and around the antenna and still nothing. We can hear everyone just fine but no one understands us! So what was the next thing to do...go buy a new antenna kit which we did and we installed it and now NOTHING!! We can't hear anyone and they can not hear us. What are we missing?

·
Administrator
57,351 Posts
Like magic its there. I don't believe you have access to the user cp on the phone.
Really depends on how the cellphone user is accessing our site.
The apps made for it are junk, I deleted all of them from my Android phone.

I am using the Android Firefox Browser and it works just fine to view threads, but I am not seeing a way to get to the Control Panel with it. :frown2:

In Landscape Mode it looks almost like the view we see in our PCs.
In standard vertical mode, you can see the full menu of Forums, but there is no listing for Control Panel.

I suspect that it would be way too busy to make that work on a cellphone.
So, we moderators must be alert to ask if the user is on a cellphone, and does not have a PC.... if so, we need to fill in your profile.

You can select "Full Version" and get the menu to go to the Control Panel, but when you get there you just see a menu back to Enhanced Mobile mode.

Attachments

·
Administrator
57,351 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am sorry I didn't know I had comments to my post until I clicked on the link just now. We will be working on the bike this evening and I will make sure to go over all the suggestions yall have given me and I will let you know what happened.

·
Magic Moderator
4,206 Posts
Even if you have a competent car audio shop in the area and they work on over the road trucks they should be able to tune the set. Also check the radio settings, one may be turned up too high.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
What mic was installed? What antenna did you install? Recheck the installation of the new antenna, even an antenna that is grossly out of adjustment will still receive something right out of the box. (see post #8) The antenna adjustment is to fine tune the match to your radio. Find another person to plug their headset into your system and then your headset into their system. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So we got it to where we can hear everyone again but nothing as far as anyone hearing us. We made sure everything was grounded and wires were good. When we push the PPT button TX comes on the screen and when someone talks RX comes but we did noticed that when we turn the squelch down low RX is coming up and staying on. In fact, it sounds as if someone is about to say something in our ear piece. Any ideas on it?

·
Administrator
57,351 Posts
turning the Squelch down low is not a good idea.

when someone is talking, or a group are talking, turn it up until it cuts them off,
then back it off until you can hear them solidly.

leaving it too loose, just gives you a lot of noise that will give you a headache.

there is a balance between setting the squelch, and the intercom gain, so that you and your wife and have everything sound about the same.

·
21,838 Posts
Just to see if it makes a difference, spray some WD-40 around the button while pressing/cycling it several times. If that helps you'll probably need to open the housing to clean the switch properly and lube it with dielectric grease.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts