Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sena headset, which I use on my other motorcycles, but mostly use the radio (with an MP3 player and FM Modulator) for listening to music on the Goldwing. I use the Sena for talking with my wife (she obviously also has a Sena).

I have a CB radio, but since I have the Sena headsets, I don't have the Honda plug-in ones. Therefore I can receive the CB through the bike speakers, but have no way to transmit. It might come in handy one day, so I was thinking about picking up a CB mic. I don't really want to shell out a ton of $ for the Honda (or compatible) plug-in headsets, just for the very occasional use of the CB.

So, I thought about getting a CB Microphone, I see the J&M kit for over $100US. Then I thought of a regular CB radio mic, like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CB-Radio-Ham-Mic-Mike-microphone-5-pin-din-Cobra-Midland-Uniden-Others-/131646397715?hash=item1ea6bc9d13:g:3TYAAOSw~gRV0UfV

Best I can figure out, the pinouts are different:
GL1500 pinout: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/images/headsetwires.jpg
One of many (sometimes seemingly conflicting) pinouts for CB microphones:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/live-sound/129605d1248485887-cb-mics-live-use-mic_plug_positions.jpg

If I can find out the pinout, for sure, of the mic, I could probably re-wire it to match the GL1500's wiring - and leave all but the mic ground and mic transmit wires disconnected. Unless there's adapters around that will go from one mic style to another? Is this doable, or am I taking too much risk (if I get the left speaker output wired to the mic transmit connection on the mic, I figure worst I might blow the mic - hopefully not the amp in the radio...) I am thinking that I wouldn't do it unless I'm able to confirm the pinouts for both ends.

Any thoughts or advice?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I had a similar choice to make a few months back. I ride with a group in the Smoky Mountains of all 1800 and 1500 bikes. They use the CB extensively. I had only been able to hear transmissions for a few trips, and decided I wanted transmission capability. I contacted Sierra Electronics about getting a helmet 'mic' only, and use the speakers for hearing the audio. I don't like the idea of reducing my ability to hear general ambient sounds, by installing helmet speakers. They have one, but it has what I think is an undesirable cable connection method. So, I opted for the headset below, with the 'right angle' cable connection, and simply didn't install the speakers in the helmet, on their advice. I have a 3/4 helmet. It works great. Excellent voice transmission, according to the group I ride with, and I listen to the group through the speakers, which has the auto muting function when the radio is playing. There wasn't a big difference in price between the 'mic only' and the full headset kit. $20 difference I think. I bought it direct from Sierra, via Amazon, as I recall, as the price was a little better. It is the 'lower end' of their quality series, but is a very nice kit, with great audio from the mic, anyway. Haven't used the headset speakers, so can't comment on them. The mic stays on the helmet all the time, and I just plug in the cable when needed.
I, also looked at a handheld mic, but saw that as a completely disfunctional option. When in the mountains, there is no time to remove your hands from the bars and fiddle with a handheld mic. It might work on an expressway, but not when there is a mountain on your left, and a cliff on your right, with turns every 100 feet. :surprise:

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM/HS-BCD279-UN-HO

BTW, you have the '97 color I would love to have had. I get a lot of compliments on the dark green color of mine, but white would have been my preference. I drive a white E250 Van, white Expedition, and white Mustang, sooooo......:grin3:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I, also looked at a handheld mic, but saw that as a completely disfunctional option. When in the mountains, there is no time to remove your hands from the bars and fiddle with a handheld mic. It might work on an expressway, but not when there is a mountain on your left, and a cliff on your right, with turns every 100 feet. :surprise:

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM/HS-BCD279-UN-HO

BTW, you have the '97 color I would love to have had. I get a lot of compliments on the dark green color of mine, but white would have been my preference. I drive a white E250 Van, white Expedition, and white Mustang, sooooo......:grin3:
Re the handheld mic, I'd certainly had that thought - I was thinking it would be more of an emergency use only setup. Although, I might find wanting to use it more, and then it wouldn't be a good situation. I just didn't really want to pay over $100 for a setup, since I'm not sure how much, if ever, I'll want to use it.

I get a lot of compliments on the bike. Once I pulled up beside a guy near my home town, who was riding pretty much the exact same bike - we both turned our heads and looked at each other and at the same time said "nice bike!". Funny, I never get compliments about my metallic Lime Green 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650. I think the Ninja is a really nice looking bike, but it just doesn't get compliments from people like the Goldwing does...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that's the one I was referring to in my original post ("So, I thought about getting a CB Microphone, I see the J&M kit for over $100US."). I just don't know if I can justify the $100 for something I'm not sure I'll ever use. The only justification would be it could come in handy in an emergency - 'insurance' usually isn't cheap.

I was thinking about just buying a regular CB handset with the right pinout (if that exists) for cheap off ebay etc.

·
Administrator
58,961 Posts
the CB mics will need to be rewired to the Honda plug pinout.

and then, there is the matter of the mic element being compatible to the Honda CB radio.

I have not worked with the Honda radios, you need to talk to Wayne at Sierra.

·
Paid Site Sponsor
680 Posts
The ptt wiring is on the main plug of the audio unit and under the seat for the passenger so you will have to connect to that from your hand mic as there is no ptt wiring in the headset input cable. That is why the J&M kit comes with the wiring harness to accomplish this. If you look at the kit you can see what it takes to accomplish this. Also the CB requires a dynamic mic cartridge to work.
H/D uses a 7 pin headset plug which also has the ptt wiring in the plug and use s condenser mic.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ptt wiring is on the main plug of the audio unit and under the seat for the passenger so you will have to connect to that from your hand mic as there is no ptt wiring in the headset input cable. That is why the J&M kit comes with the wiring harness to accomplish this. If you look at the kit you can see what it takes to accomplish this. Also the CB requires a dynamic mic cartridge to work.
H/D uses a 7 pin headset plug which also has the ptt wiring in the plug and use s condenser mic.
Wayne, thanks for the info - very helpful.

·
Registered
653 Posts
After looking at all the options, and complexities for 2 years, I finally just jumped and bought the kit I described above. It wasn't worth any more of my time. If you figure out how to do it, and do it well, I'm sure others here would like to see the results.
The dynamic mic that Wayne mentioned, is a definite. A condenser won't work without some real rigging, as it has to be powered. I couldn't even determine what types of mics I was looking at, as most mics are made for a particular application. Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After looking at all the options, and complexities for 2 years, I finally just jumped and bought the kit I described above. It wasn't worth any more of my time. If you figure out how to do it, and do it well, I'm sure others here would like to see the results.
The dynamic mic that Wayne mentioned, is a definite. A condenser won't work without some real rigging, as it has to be powered. I couldn't even determine what types of mics I was looking at, as most mics are made for a particular application. Anyway, good luck.
Yeah, that's where I'm leaning now. I just don't know how often I'd use the mic. I'd get a handheld for an emergency, but don't want it for regular riding - probably getting the mic and headset (and only mount the mic) makes the most sense, but then I'd have 2 mic's in my helmet, the Sena one and one for the CB. It will depend, I guess, on how much riding I end up doing with other riders with CB's.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You can use your Sena headsets and talk over the CB. Sierra electronics sells an adapter that plugs into your existing wiring and communicates through another SMH10 in your left pocket. I'm able to receive and transmit just find. Give Sierra a call and talk to them. They're good folks.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can use your Sena headsets and talk over the CB. Sierra electronics sells an adapter that plugs into your existing wiring and communicates through another SMH10 in your left pocket. I'm able to receive and transmit just find. Give Sierra a call and talk to them. They're good folks.
For some reason, I thought that was only for the GL1800's?

Also, my wife and I have SMH5's - they'll only do a one-to-one communication - so to talk on the CB, I'd have to disconnect her, connect to the 'CB' SMH10, then disconnect from it and reconnect to the wife (it's only a few presses of the button, but still a hassle.)

I might be able to somehow use it as justification for buying a pair of SMH10's - upgrade mine to an SMH10, and get one for the CB comms - although I still thought it was only for the 1800's?

·
GoldWingFacts.com Vendor
50 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We do make a bluetooth harness that will allow you to transmit on CB using the headset that is already mounted in your headset.

You will need the harness http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SIE-SNA-GW-SMH10

And an additional SMH10 head unit if you do not already have a spare one laying around http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SNA-SMH10-M01
Thank you for the info. I have a GL1500 - my understanding is that the bluetooth harness is only for the GL1800?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you call in and place your order, I can custom build one for you for the GL1500.
Thank you - I'll keep that in mind - I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth the cost etc. to me or not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.