Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I will be picking up my bike and i want to be able to use the CB on the bike while i ride along with my buddy.

What type of connection do i need on the 85 or 86 goldwing? I seen something like a 5 pin plug? Is it a circle plug with 5 pins? female or male adapter? Would radio shack carry it because i just want something cheap.

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

If I understand you right, you have a Honda CB on your 1200. All you need to do is buy helmet headsets and plug them into the 1200's intercom system and the CB will work as well.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

its an LTD. Im looking for something i can pickup locally and cheap. I have to go out and pickup the motorcycle from the buyer and a friend is coming with me. So i want something i can communicate just for that day.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

If your bike has the factory CB (it probably does) it is designed to work with the headset mic and the 5 pin DIN plug.
You may have trouble finding a mic only with a 5 pin DIN that is wired correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

A hand held mic has the keying switch built in where as the keying switch for the Honda CB is on the handlebars.
They are not compatable.
There are substitutes on the market but they are not cheap. You need a headset that is built for the job also not cheap.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

oldschoolgoldwing wrote:
I will be picking up my bike and i want to be able to use the CB on the bike while i ride along with my buddy.

What type of connection do i need on the 85 or 86 goldwing? I seen something like a 5 pin plug? Is it a circle plug with 5 pins? female or male adapter? Would radio shack carry it because i just want something cheap.

thanks
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet, OldSchool!:waving::waving:

The plug is a 5 pin DIN plug and some Radio Shack stores have them. If you go to this page on this site there's a pinout diagram of the headset connection.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=948&forum_id=1&highlight=headset+connection

On your LTD you should have a CB PTT switch on your left handlebar. It is possible to cobble up a couple of ear bud type speakers, but the mike will be a little more problem. You might try a cheap computer headset, the type that has a boom mike cut off the connector and wire to a DIN plug. If the microphone impedance is close enough to what the Honda CB is expecting it should work okay if you can get the apparatus under your helmet. A hand mike could be wired into a plug, leave the PTT wire disconnected on the mike. It would be an awkward two handed operation though since you'd have to key the CB with the handlebar switch and hold the mike with the other hand.

The only practical way to deal with it is to buy a helmet headset at a local bike shop or order one online. I found the Chatterbox headset to work very well and was one of the cheapest available, $78.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

thanks for the advice

I have a long trip back home, and i might just listen to the radio. Hopefully it works.

I might stop at a bike shop and buy one. It will be easier talking to my buddy about directions getting home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.