Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

Considering that our bikes offer virtually no ground plane for our CB's, I was wondering if adding wire mesh to the bottom of the trunk and ground it to the antenna would help? Any suggestions to enhance the CB's anemic performance are welcome. TIA

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

L8ndeb wrote:
Hi All,

Considering that our bikes offer virtually no ground plane for our CB's, I was wondering if adding wire mesh to the bottom of the trunk and ground it to the antenna would help? Any suggestions to enhance the CB's anemic performance are welcome. TIA
Mightgive a meager improvementif it's an antenna that needs a ground plane like a 1/4-wave or 5/8-wave.But don't ground it to the antenna itself... ground it to the sheild side of the coax going to the antenna.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure about the 1100's mounting capabilities, but Firestick does have a couple of no-ground plane cb antennas that are specifically made for vehicles that do not have ground planes.

www.firestik.com

Ken

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

Yeah, I have to agree with the last two posts.
You will get (next to) no improvement due to the ground being so small.
If it bothers you, which it shouldn't (even the center of a car roof is too small of an area to be an effective ground at that frequency), go for a ground plane-less antenna design.
Or, you can do what the rest of us do, stick what you want on, check it for SWR (just to make sure its something sensible ie anything less than 2:1), and then go out and use it (ie ride!).
Ok, so your range will only be something 15 miles instead of 16...really at the end of the day, does it matter? If you are looking for real long haul DX type contacts, possibly, but if you want to talk to a few trucks and your riding buddies, then a basic antenna is going to do the job just fine for you.

Ben (VK3GR)

P.S The biggest thing I have found I need to consider when looking at antennas for my Wing is the ability to either fold them down or remove them quickly as I put a cover over the whole bike most nights.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

I've got the '85 Aspencade 1200 with the built-in CB on the right side but also have my Ham ticket and would be interested in hearing any suggestions for mounting a 2m/440 mobile with a hard connect into the on-board harness.

Ruaidh

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll take Ben's advice and tune it. Then ride it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.