Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was thinking about buying a CB Radio for my 09 GL 1800 and before I do so I wanted some input from the forum if I may.

Since the CB is fairly expensive for what it is, for those of you that have one, would you buy one again if you got a new Goldwing and sold the old Goldwing with the CB.

Has anyone had a CB and wished he or she didn't buy one.

I ride solo 95% of the time, I like to ride without to many layovers or stops.:action:

Or does anyone want to sell a new/used one to me?

Thanks.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Yep, they are pricey. depends whether you will use it.

Christine and I find them invaluable when we are touring - don't really chat on them, but very usefull when there are traffic hazards or you get split up by traffic lights when touring. You can still be in touch and in convoy when out of line of site and as Christine says, it means she can nag at a range of 2 miles.

Does seem a bit of a luxury if you ride on your own though.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I like your "Help for Heroes" website, very cool.:cool:

That's what I was thinking about the CB, riding alone , don't want to hear the truckers /Lorrie drivers chatter.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I know you guys are talking 1800's but my 91i doesnt have one. As Road Captain of our local chapter, I'd like to be able to talk with the couple bikes that do have CBs. I have a Scala Rider Bluetooth headset for me and my wife and Cell phone, so I really dont want to get rid of them. Any idears? (

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

had one got rid of it... to much chatter Only thing it was good for was cussin at the idiot truck drivers around here. ( mind; that's not that they could understand you anyway)
A friend says that next year solar activity was going to be real bad and CB was gonna be practically useless anyway. Still searching for a good portable system.. I'm currently foolin around ith some gfrx's

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well, forget the CB.:(

I heard the 2011 Goldwing may have a new Blue tooth device with a range of 3 or more miles.

I guess CB's are old news.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
imported post

Having just spent several hours installing a CB in my '02 wing, perhaps my opinion is jaded, but...

We ride with a group who all have CB's and that's how they communicate. We would get to the destination andtheywould tell usabout all theconversation we missed out on during the ride, the critters they tried to point out,the jokes that were told, etc. Oh, and they would end with "we talked about you, too!"The wife bought me one forFather's dayand now we can enjoy this extra aspectof the goup ride experience.

Otherwise I never would have bought one. Some "Drivers" (truckers) can be pretty crass over the air and I can't see myself listening to the popular channels for very long. Cell phones replaced the "call for help" argument just like MP3 and XM replaced the CD changer.

She got our (hondaline) CB and antenna from wingstuff for pretty cheap. They are still on sale now and I see used ones going for more on eBay. I in turn 'bought her' the J&M passenger control and installed it while the bike was torn apart. The best part of that piece was the ability to kill the rear mic wind noise. I know others have found different solutions for that issue butWOW what a difference!

P.S. plan to replace the air filterwhether you do the install or you have it done by the shop.You have to tear the bike apart to install the CB andthe air filter replacement is just a few steps more. I make it soundmiserable but it isreally not that bad if you use the tips and videos found on this wonderful site (i.e. don't remove the trunk)!I plan to make a donation because this site saved me big money on shop labor.:dude:Oops - I mean "labour" (wink to the those across the pond!).

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Since you plan on riding with a group, I think your CB is a good idea and I hope you & your lovely wife enjoy it. Now you will be in the grove with the chatter (LIVE) in real time.:action:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.