Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just got the cb radio kit and read through the instructions. I wanted to know if it is neccessary to dismantle the trunk and instrument panel on the 08s?

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

no on the trunk, yes on the shelter

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

The only reason to remove the trunk is to drill the hole for the wiring harness. I have seen several suggestions to heat a hole saw and push it through from the inside. If you look at the locations carefully you will see a very faint outline of the appropriate location and size of hole to cut. (Also a faint outline for the hole to the antenna exists - but mine was very hard to see.) Drilling those holes in the trunk are nerve racking.

I marked the center of the hole, punched a sharp awl thru to mark it then drilled the hole from the seat side with a hole saw and a lot of care.

The shelter is a pain, if you haven't done it, but once you've done it once, not so bad. Good time to change the air filter while you are so close to it, but since you have an '08, your probably don't need to do that unless you have rode a lot of miles already.. If you don't have mic mutes and might want to install them its a good time. I want to install mic mutes, but didn't have them at the time I installed the CB, so I ran a phone cord from the seat location to the left shelter area. It's my understanding of the product that I can now install the components by removing the left glove box and the seat - as the only connection that runs under the shelter appears to be the phone cord.

Its important to have a service manual and if you have an airbag to follow the airbag precautions. The instructions with the CB say over and over: do so and so as described in the service manual. A set of T handle allen wrenches is sure handy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

TitaniumWing wrote:
I marked the center of the hole, punched a sharp awl thru to mark it then drilled the hole from the seat side with a hole saw and a lot of care.
The above wasn't completely clear. This was in reference to drilling the large hole from the trunk to under the seat for the harness only. It did not applyto the antenna holes in the left side of the trunk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.