Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Recently, static problems have developed in the cb radio. With the key turned to acc and the engine off... there is no problem. With the engine running and the bike not in motion... there is no problem. Even at high rpms, if the bike is not in motion... there is no problem.

As the bike begins to move, the static begins. The faster you go the more static there is. When the bike is in motion and I am transmitting, others say sometimes there is static and sometimes there is no static. When the bike is in motion and I am receiving, there is always static. After bringing the bike to an abrupt halt, it takes about three seconds for the static to reduce to nothing.

With the bike on the center stand and in gear with the rear wheel turning... there is no problem. With the bike jacked up, when trying to spin the front wheel by hand, there seems to be a low static noise.

So there appears to be a connection between the static in the cb radio and the front wheel in motion, however it is questionable. The cb radio appears to be grounded properly. I have switched antennas with another biker which results in no change. The radio was originally purchased from the Honda dealer when the bike was new.

Any suggestions would be appreciated here or at [email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Kinda sounds like a speed sensor or sumpin' like that. My 99 SE was screachin' and squealing bad and Sierra fixed it and got it to my door in 6-7 days for a hundred bucks. works better than new, has more range. jimsjinx

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

There is a CB noise filter available for that problem, I can't remember if it's made by Honda or Sierra. It was discussed here some weeks ago so a search should turn it up. I have to get back to work now...

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

It's a Honda filter far as I remember. Can't find the thread here that I seen it discussed in before.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

We have resolved the problem. It is the antenna. It appears there is a loose or bad connection at the point where the antenna wire connects to the bar that you lift to bend and lower it. Putting tension on the antenna at that point or pulling the top of the antenna a few inches in any direction, eliminates the problem.

Thanx to all for your ideas and suggestions.

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

Anytime there is static only when the motorcycle is moving the first thing I check is a loose antenna mount or ground. Just put the CB on the outside speakers, open the squelch, turn up the volume and listen for difference in noise level while moving antenna base or coax connections. Probably 95% of the problems I see with CB radio problems are antenna related. I have a habit of looking at antenna mounts and installations every time a bike comes into the store. You would be surprised how many antennas are installed improperly and I ask how their CB works and they say it performs great and I know it barely transmits a very short distance due to either a dead short at the mount or no ground to the bikes frame at the mount. On the 94 to 2000 SE which came with the CB installed and all the dealer had to do was screw the antennas on they didn't even know what side to put the antennas on. Still today, when at a rally I see these bikes with the antennas mounted on the wrong side and the owner do not know the difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.