Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about installing a CB on my 2012 Goldwing. However I don't use a headset (and would prefer not to). Would I be able to monitor communication (not talk) on the CB, while still listening to music through the speakers? Or does the CB only work with a headset connected?

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
It can also play through the dash speakers without a headset but you wont be able to talk. You will need to play with squelch as anytime the CB is activated, it will switch from music to CB. The squelch can reduce the static so it only blanks out the music when someone close is transmitting.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,160 Posts
Ummmm,
yes you can talk w/o a headset.
my '94 and '98 I used a hand microphone on the CB and listened to the radio through the dash speakers.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the quick response

AZgl1800 can you elaborate on the hand mic

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Read this..................Post # 4......

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
Yes, you could use a handheld J&M hand mike but they havent been made for a very long time and impossible to find new or used.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,160 Posts
the mic that I had, had a CB radio name on it.
Maxxon IIRC, probably a Condenser mic, but don't know for sure.

·
Administrator
26,541 Posts
Probably about any CB mic could be made to work if you could figure out the wiring.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
528 Posts
Pinout for both connectors. You would have to find a matching plug for the mic.

·
Administrator
26,541 Posts
The mic would also have to be wired to the PTT switch which is not in the DIN plug.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,160 Posts
I just held the mic in my right hand, steered with the Left hand, and pushed PTT switch.

No problem, just a trifle inconvenient.

when I sold the '98SE, I forgot to keep the microphone with me, so when I bought the 1800 I was "forced" to get a good commset, which I did, EdSet's ThunderClap speaker and boom mike.

no regrets, but damn expensive.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
528 Posts
The OP could always buy a used headset and remove the headset speakers. Just the mic attached to the helmet. Still use the bike speakers.
That way he would have the correct cords and no rewiring.
The mic could be attached with 3M dual lock to the helmet if he wants to remove it easily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts