Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was thinking of putting in a CB radio on our 2008 Goldwing. Is it really worth the expense? The radio and antenna itself is about a grand give or take plus labor.Any and all opinions welcome?

Derek

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

No,not at that cost, and most other bikes don't have them,and those that do, need to be on the same channel so unless the group you ride with have them ,bout all you can do is listen to the truckers, and that does get old quickly.

The Chatterbox deal is more cost effective and it's kinda the same problem, not much good if your the only one that's got one.

Got a CB on the Wing and have yet to really find it useful, I think a GPS is more useful.
And a cell phone is better for those unfortunate incidents.

a small handheld CB with its own antenna that you could velcro to the bike & maybe with a headset, more cost effective.

Even a pair of the hiker walki-talki's have about as much range as a CB, and can be used for other things too. even more cost effective

:headbanger:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,735 Posts
imported post

I was going to offer something intuitive :), but I got here to late.

For me, I would just find a decent handie talkie, and velcro it to something solid. For me, that was the plastic trim around the ignition key, but that was on a 1500. A RAM mount is a good way to mount something, they have one version that is just a flat plate, that is what I used to hold my camera with. works fine.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I have a CB on my Aspencade and I never listen to it.True the range is not good and sometimes you can't hear all of the conversations.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

If you do a lot of group rides, it may be worth it. Personally, I almost wish I didn't buy one. Some people want th chatter constantly on the thing, it seems. Wrecks our oldies :p :cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1:

Our group organizer insists on everyone having a CB, but some don't obey very well! :shock:

If you want one, Hal at DirectLine has 10% off till Wed Morn. ( I think).
I think the sales code is "Santa" without the quotes.

http://www.directlineparts.com/byProduct.asp?prd=Audio/CB&sub=CB+Radio&str=4&ID=323248904

You'll find that CB there for a lot less than dealer, and it's not really that difficult to install. But, I see it's gone up almost 125.00 since I bought mine. The antenna is on the same link.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I like the CB when riding with another bike or two, no a large group but it's nice to be able to coordinate with another rider as you go. As to whether it's worth the money, probably not if you didn't get the factory CB. Other than riding with another CB equipped rider I hardly ever turn mine on.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

I've had 2 goldwings with a CB, good for communicating with other riders in your group. You can also talk to oncoming bikes for a brief time only, they will get out of range really quick. Motorcycles don't have a very good ground plane for the swr, too much tupperware. I still like to have them.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Yes, if you do group rides a lot and at least two of ur group mates have CB, is worth having it. if you ride solo. well is not really useful other than if you want to chit chat with truckers. at least they could warn you of something on the road before you hit it.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Christine & I find them invaluable for communication whilst on the move - ensures we don't get separated or lost in unfamiliar areas. Also handy on group rides as we use them to marshall if there are enough sets.

Chris also says she likes the ability to "nag from two miles away" :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

It may take a month or so, but if you will go to the motorcycle salvage yard parts sites on the web and sign up. When they get a CB they will contact you. At a considerable savings.

A CB is a great tool in group rides, I could not function without it. But at the cost they want for one, even though it is integrated into the system is a bit much. It was when I went looking for one, that is quite a price to pay for one, it is the system of we got it, you don/t.

Anyway I purchased my CB and antenna and the filters for $300 dollars from a salvage yard.

Kit

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

I have one and it is nice to have the ability to communicate when on a group ride. I used it a lot when my wife had her own bike she had a handle bar mounted j & m CB.

Is it worth the cost? That's hard to say, if you do a lot of group riding or ride with someone else often it might be.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,735 Posts
imported post

My gl1500 had a factory CB .

I turned it on twice, was never able to hear both sides of a conversation if I was not involved in it.

Also, since I have only ridden in a group one time, it has been pretty useless for me.

Worth it? That depends on your needs.
Group rides regularly, I would say yes.
Riding solo, I would say no.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

My 1500 has one that is alway on. I use it in group rides, I also like it for the traffic info that I can get from the truckers when I'm on the road. You can also listen in on some very interesting conversations while traveling. it can also be used for a source of entertainment. As your traveling close to some of the larger truckstops, there are usually a couple of hookers trying to pick up some business, tell them your a trucker and you'll meet them at the truck stop, and they will tell you all kinds of stuff to get you to stop. It's funny. I've had CB radios for over 30 years, so I'm just used to them. I also have Bluetooth intergrated with my intercom so that I can use the phone also while traveling while wearing the helmet. But the CB is used more. I wouldn't give what the stealer wants for the CB, when you can find them in the boneyard, or order it and the antenna from Honda Directline and save yourself several hundred. Most riders now adays really don't understand the CB, those of us who have used them for years sometimes still like them. Heck, it comes standard on the Royal Star Venture, it is a shame that Honda couldn't do the same.;)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I have one, use it with group rides, also have one in the MH, and the wives's truck, always in contact, she knows me better.:dude:

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

I have one but it came with the bike. Kind of old technology what with cell phones and FRS radios. I always found they were geed to raise the blood pressure when you get someone out there pushing the power limits beyond belief.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
No, I don't have friends with CB, so it's a waste of time.
i don't have any friends:shock:(can't be me?). i turn mine on while on the super-slab,just to monitor the traffic ahead. truckers nowadays spend more time on their cells.

Robin

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

I've got one that came with the bike. For the price quoted, I personally wouldn't bother. As others have said,I turn mine on for group rides and if i'm traveling on the interstate for info

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
imported post

I only have mine on when riding with someone that has one. It definately beats hand signasl that may or may not be seen and understood. I think it's invaluable in that setting. If you ride solo, that's a lot of money to spend for a little entertainment.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.