Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had 3 Goldwing since 1998, two of which were 1800s. I just bought a new 2012. I have a Harley-riding friend who rides with me quite often. Recently I've noticed that there seems to be a one second delay from when he keys his CB transmit button till the time I actually hear what he says. This didn't seem to be a problem in the past 4 years with my 2006 GW.

I finally asked him to pull up beside me and let me watch him press his CB transmit button and count up " 1...2...3...4..."
Almost every time, I could not hear him say "1", but I did begin hearing him when he got to "2". I could tell he keyed his button as my music source gets muted , but what he is saying is not heard for one second afterwards.

I tried this out with my music sources turned off and it helped the problem , but only fractionally. I don't think having a music source on is the problem.

He thinks it's my CB radio having a lag in picking up his CB signal whereas I think it is his CB radio that has the lag in putting out the signal. He hears me instantly when I transmit so I know my CB transmission is immediate.

Does anyone else notice a delay in hearing someone else's CB transmission? Have you noticed it amongst other GW riders?, Harley riders?, other CB radio types, truckers, etc, etc?

My radio is a factory Honda CB and this is the only time I've ever noticed the problem, but since he is usually the only other person I ride with, I have no one else to compare the problem with.

I've asked him to simply wait one second before talking. He remembers to do this for about 15 minutes , then goes back to forgetting to give me the complimentary one second and then I have to start telling him to repeat what he said. After telling him this several times, I can tell he is getting annoyed.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
A CB is a CB so it doesn't matter the brand. What you need to do is find someone else with a CB i.e. a trucker to figure out if it is yours or your buddy's. I have heard that phenomenon with some walky-talkies we use at work. With 2 in earshot at the same time 1 might begin receiving immediately while another has a lag.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A CB is a CB so it doesn't matter the brand. What you need to do is find someone else with a CB i.e. a trucker to figure out if it is yours or your buddy's. I have heard that phenomenon with some walky-talkies we use at work. With 2 in earshot at the same time 1 might begin receiving immediately while another has a lag.
Thanks for your reply. I have a friend with a GW who also rides with me at times. I ought to call him and get him to meet me somewhere to check it out. I do know though that the Harley friend is not guilty of "user error" as I watched him press the button.

I'll post back when I find out new info.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's possible that it's taking a split second to trip your squelch circuit. This is the circuit that, when activated, cuts out the white noise until someone transmits. If so, it's not necessarily an indication of something wrong with your CB. He may have to start keying his mic up for a second before transmitting so as not to cut out the first part of his transmission. You may not be the only person noticing this as it could be caused by his radio idiosyncracies.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's possible that it's taking a split second to trip your squelch circuit. This is the circuit that, when activated, cuts out the white noise until someone transmits. If so, it's not necessarily an indication of something wrong with your CB. He may have to start keying his mic up for a second before transmitting so as not to cut out the first part of his transmission. You may not be the only person noticing this as it could be caused by his radio idiosyncracies.

possibly so. I've always allowed a delay after pressing the transmit key on any CB just to make sure I'm not guilty of chopping off the first part of my transmission, on previous bikes and all radios regardless of its application. This happens so often, I learned it as a teenager to not start talking the split moment I press the key. But in his case , he gets angry over making just a simple request :bow:

Regardless, I think it is his radio with the problem as I witnessed him press his key, in ear shot range (5 feet) , .....and his speech started about 1/2 to 3/4 seconds before I heard it on my headsets. He just doesn't understand:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
My '12 with a oem CB does the same thing your talking about,its damn irritating to miss the first couple of words someone else says.I miss the first words from all the many different wings I ride with.My wife has a CB on her bike and I am able to test at home.I even had her switch bikes with me,she agrees that its my bike with the problem.Before you beat up your friend to much,check with a different CB and make sure its not your problem.If its your CB and you find a fix please post about it

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
The fix is to get it replaced under warranty!
If your radio is muted by your friend keying up, then you should be immediately hearing his 1 on your CB!
Others that read this thread, if you are considering a CB, you need to check out the GL2way over the OEM unit!

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Something to consider,is the voice activated mic's on the new bikes. The old ones have the mic active all the time. You new 1800 guys have a "VOX relay, which is where, I believe, is the delay. The mic is activated when you speak. JMO jimsjinx

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
Something to consider,is the voice activated mic's on the new bikes. The old ones have the mic active all the time. You new 1800 guys have a "VOX relay, which is where, I believe, is the delay. The mic is activated when you speak. JMO jimsjinx
Where did you get this info from?????
I have a friend w/a 2012 that does not have VOX:confused:
Thought they had the same muting as prior years?
The only difference I'm aware of is the 2012/13 CB's connections are all made in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My '12 with a oem CB does the same thing your talking about,its damn irritating to miss the first couple of words someone else says.I miss the first words from all the many different wings I ride with.My wife has a CB on her bike and I am able to test at home.I even had her switch bikes with me,she agrees that its my bike with the problem.Before you beat up your friend to much,check with a different CB and make sure its not your problem.If its your CB and you find a fix please post about it

OK thanks. I will take it in to the shop and see what they have to say about it. This is annoying to say the least.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem is not transmission but reception. My radio has a delay in receiving someone else's signal. My output is instantaneous (we also proved that from ear shot range).

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The fix is to get it replaced under warranty!
If your radio is muted by your friend keying up, then you should be immediately hearing his 1 on your CB!
Others that read this thread, if you are considering a CB, you need to check out the GL2way over the OEM unit!
Is the GL2way integrated into the bike's system like the OEM?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello all. I have a 2012 with the Gl2Way and Pete and I have gone all around. I have a post 2012 CB communication delay I see others on this thread have visited. Exact problem here but worse if trying to use phone through bluetooth to Zumo 550. I transmit phone call (as soon as I talk) or CB immediately on keying PTT. But receiving is the delay. I watch my friend key his PTT and 1 second passes before I hear the signal. GPS voice nav same problem. Every pause in speech yields a 1 second "miss" of following words. "Turn right in .2 miles" makes me hear "......right in..... miles" because of the initial 1 second delay I miss "turn" and the pause after "in" makes me miss the ".2". Human speech on a phone call has many pauses so i miss many words unless the caller takes a deep breath and says a whole sentence without a pause. I could hear "hello, how are you. I am fine and today is rainy"....if the caller said "hellohowareyouIamfineandtodayisrainy"...I would just miss "hello" but the rest of the sentence would come through fine untill the caller ran out of breath.

The incoming signal- cb, gps, phone through the master radio and into headset is being delayed somehow.

Has anyone solved? I want mine fixed.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I also have a GL2way and run my zumo 660 through it I do hear the voice promps ok but have had an issue with my buddy hearing me on his stock 1500 cb he would miss the first words of what I was saying so I ended up having to key my mike for a couple of seconds before talking I also am using the J&M Elite headset this will take some further looking on my part

·
Just one of the guys
4,832 Posts
It sounds to me like you guys are experiencing a delay while the system cuts out the other stuff and cuts through the CB. Have you tried to turn everything else off and use just the CB to see if the problem went away?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.