Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi, I just joined this forum, hoping to get some information about CB reception. I have a 1996 Honda Goldwing, stock CB. I am having problems with reception. I hear when my riding buddy has keyed his mike, but I do not hear him talking. Sometimes I can hear him, but most times I can only hear him key his mike. I can hear other people on the same channel, and other channels as well. He said he can hear me perfectly. My question is, does my cb need to be adjusted?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks..Karen

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I suspect one of two things..

first, since you say "buddy", I am suspicious of "overload".. if a transmitting cb (your buddy)is too close, it will overload the receiver (your cb) and garble or mute it... if this is the case, get farther away and try it..

second, if you hear other people, it may be a problem with his cb, not yours..

And Welcome to the forum!!!!!

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Inspectand clean antenna connections on both bikes. To verify correctly, use SWR meter. If not available, observe how close you are to him when this happens. Increase distance for change in reception. If problem disappears after antenna inspection, then.....

Do those radios have a external gain adjustment (not squelch, but gain)?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks for the response..we have tried the distance thing, and also adjusting both squelch...still nothing. I have been sitting next to him at a stop light, and sometimes can hear him. I have been several car links away, and can hear him. Then again, same situation and I can not hear him. Its very frustrating.

I got to take it for an inspection, I may have the guys at the honda shop take a look at it.

Thanks ..Karen

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

allek wrote:
...I got to take it for an inspection,....
Its your buddies cb that needs inspection..

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Yes.. sounds like your friends mic/mic cable/mic cable connector may be of issue. If you heartheirradio keyed, and it remains keyed-up whiletheir voice is cutting in and out, and everyone else is heard as normally should, then it's their radio that needs some attention, not yours. This problem may not replicate well in a driveway test unless simulated motion can be foundusing the mic and cable.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

It is not your CB, the problem is on your buddy's bike.

We just had such an experience with a friends GL1800 CB.

He could hear us well, but we could only hear him key his transmitter. No voice. The mic on his headset was bad.

I would strongly suspect the problem is with his headset or associated cords.

Sometimes if the mic is faulty, just moving it might cause it to work or not work. That could explain why there have been times when you did hear him.

I have a question...........can your passenger hear you when you use the intercom?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Hadnt thought about his mic being bad. I will see if we can also check to see if I can hear him through the intercom. I am so glad I joined this forum---lots of good advice here.

Thanks alot..Karen

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Let us know what you find..............!

Don't forget, when you are checking things out, move his mic around a little. See if it cuts in and out. Also move the cord connections around some during testing.

I'll betcha if you use another (good known) helmet and headset (with cords) on his bike, you will hear his CB transmissions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.