Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
The CB unit on my 1991 1500 is not wired up to anything. I'd like to get it working and I am wondering how to wire it up and see if it works at all. How does it operate? Does it work through the intercom or is my helmet microphone just plugged directly into it? I never had one so not really sure how it operates.
Regards;
Gerry.

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
Your cb is connected with a sub harness that goes from your cb to a connecting block under your shelter.Also make sure that the antenna is connected before you key the mike or catastofic consequenses will result.Do you have the controller on your left handlebar?And yes your cb is integrated with your bike's com system.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your cb is connected with a sub harness that goes from your cb to a connecting block under your shelter.Also make sure that the antenna is connected before you key the mike or catastofic consequenses will result.Do you have the controller on your left handlebar?And yes your cb is integrated with your bike's com system.

Thanks moonhead. There is a 'TALK' button on the left handlebar. I presume that is for the CB push to talk? At the back of the CB unit the wires are cut and I don't know where they connect to. The antenna connection is there but not connected. I'd love to get it working.
Gerry.

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
Sorry about the butcher that got lose on your harness,so to get this straight the wires are cut and there is only one end of them left.If this is the case you will need to find another sub harness,you might take your shelter off and look at the connection block that is attached to it,the cb harness connects to the right side of that block.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
If you type "gl1500 cb sub harness" in ebay there is one for sale but only a day or so left. One end goes into the rear of the cb and the other into the back of the radio. There is one other small connector block too and you will easily see its mate when you do the job.
Check your antenna wire has not been cut and the handlebar control wires are still in place too and you will be good to go.
I put mine in myself and it's a lot easier than you would think.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My GL1500 CB unit.

Guys, this is a photo of the CB unit fitted to my 1991 Anniversary Edition 1500. The ones I see on ebay are different in that they fit into the left-hand side panel whereas mine fits on top of the panel. Were there 2 different types of CB units fitted to the 1500's? As I said a last week, my one is not wired up and I'd love to get it working so any advice would be great.
Regards;'
Gerry.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
I don't believe that the one in the pic is OEM. All the OEM's that I have seen are under the left hand faring pocket.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
As much as I hate to say it... that's just a normal "off-the-shelf" 40-channel CB radio.

FWIW, You've got a Midland 77-099 (not the 77-099B) model CB there. The back panel should have a permanantly attached power cord (red is +12V in; black is ground) and one jack for an external speaker.

Eventhough your headset will fit into the 5-pin DIN connenctor, it won't work; the radio is looking for a microphone and a TX/RX switch...

Those radios did have an internal speaker, so even without the mic you should be able to get a little noise outta it by powering it up and turning the squelch down (if no noise, try shorting pins #2 and #5 together to emulate the RX switch).

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
That does explain your wires being cut as you said in your other thread.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
Gerry , your bike was probably a UK or Jap spec and never came fitted with with the CB or the wiring harness , that cb you have was fitted in the UK and is probably just disconnected ,they were useless and most people took them off their bikes ,,what you need is a original honda CB and full wiring loom including the PTT button ,.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As much as I hate to say it... that's just a normal "off-the-shelf" 40-channel CB radio.

FWIW, You've got a Midland 77-099 (not the 77-099B) model CB there. The back panel should have a permanantly attached power cord (red is +12V in; black is ground) and one jack for an external speaker.

Eventhough your headset will fit into the 5-pin DIN connenctor, it won't work; the radio is looking for a microphone and a TX/RX switch...

Those radios did have an internal speaker, so even without the mic you should be able to get a little noise outta it by powering it up and turning the squelch down (if no noise, try shorting pins #2 and #5 together to emulate the RX switch).

Many thanks for your replies guys. However, a friend of mine also has one of these CB units on his 1500 and it works fine through the mike. His unit is identical to mine. His has a red button to 'TALK' on handlebar whereas mine has a 'proper' talk button operated by my forefinger on left-hand handlebar. If you say that these units won't work then how is it that his seems to be working? And by the way, his mike plugs into the same plug as the intercom.
Regards;
Gerry.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
It will work , because there is an interface came with them for the wing from the dealer in the UK , but they don't work well , and never as good as the original cb ,

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It will work , because there is an interface came with them for the wing from the dealer in the UK , but they don't work well , and never as good as the original cb ,
Thanks Ciaran, I suppose you don't have a spare CB unit laying around there?
Regards;
Gerry.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
Sorry Gerry ,they are like hens teeth ,expect to pay around 250 to 300 euro for one ,give Dermot King a call 087 6530948 he may have one .

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Just one thing Ciaran, you say they don't work well, what exactly do this mean? Has it not got good distance or is it always noisy or what? I don't understand. If it were good enough to work for a few hundred yards it would be good enough for me as a friend and I take our bikes out weekly and we'd like to be able to communicate while riding.
Gerry.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The CB unit I have is Midland 77-099 UK. I took it off the bike today and connected it's positive and negative wires and couldn't believe it when it lit up! It even changes channels so perhaps it's working after all. It's other wires are cut at about 3 inches. I wonder where I can obtain a wiring diagram for this type of unit? I'd love to see if it actually works.
Gerry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.