Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have just bought a Longmill JCX-4 10 CD player, secondhand.

This was alledgedly fitted to an 1988 Wing. Now I have a 1998 and need to know about fitting, as it came without instructions.

The power in I am okay with, the ground I am understanding.

Then come the other leads. There is a long eight pin lead (eight pin at either end) one end goes into the side of multi changer, the other end:baffled:?

Then there is a cable remote control, with a 6pin male socket on the end, and this goes where:baffled:?

Any clever guys or gals out there can help me? If I pull the standard radio cassette out, am I going to be lucky enough to find direct plug in female sockets to receive them?

Thanks.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

I just dida web search on "Longmill JCX-4" and came up blank. Is there a chance that this unit is a rebadged unit made by someone else?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

BRowan wrote:
I just dida web search on "Longmill JCX-4" and came up blank. Is there a chance that this unit is a rebadged unit made by someone else?
Hi Brian, I did a search too and came up with a web site, but one of those with no content. However, there was an email address, so I have sent one, requesting their help.

I am not averse to pulling the bikes stereo dash out to do the fitting, my main concern is whether I will find any where to pushthe plugs into, or will it be acase of "hot wiring" it in, ( something I am less keen on and wouldn't attempt myself).

I have no reason to doubt that the unit wasona Wing, I wonder if earlier 1500 had sockets that newer ones don't?

The cable opperated remote control, has an LCD display, plus 8 function buttons. It has been velcro mounted, and I am wondering if it is waterproofed or not.

None of the leads have been cut, which is a good sign, and the one that would go from the unit to the stock radio cassette area is long enough to go fromthe pannier, which seems to be the generally accepted place to mount it.

I am keen to get it working, as my selection of cassettes is limited and rather dated now, whereas I have a reasonable selection of CDs.

I bought a cheep personalCD player and it worked through the cassette adaptor, but it is a pain changing discs, requiring stopping to do safely. I know some are going in for the MP3 players, but that would require me learning a whole new format, and my old gey matter isn't up to that yet!:goofygrin:

Thanks for scouting around Brian, I will keep persevering, and hopefully someone will shed light on what I need to do.

Pete

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi pete,

when I fitted my multichanger on my 1200 interstate, I had to hot wire all the leads, the easy way to do this, in case you need to change the head unit in future, is obtain a Euro standard multipin connector (get the type thats in two parts,takes up less room)for car stereo's, and solder the wireing in place.

The multi-pin cabling, there should be appropriate sockets on the back of the head unit for the eight pin lead (this is the normal type lead for cd changer to head)

the six pin again should plug either into the cd changer or which is more common, the head unit, I would think then, that you have either a lead missing or miss-matched head/changer. But you won't know until you have a look at the back of your head unit.

good luck

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

JOHNO wrote:
Hi pete,

when I fitted my multichanger on my 1200 interstate, I had to hot wire all the leads, the easy way to do this, in case you need to change the head unit in future, is obtain a Euro standard multipin connector (get the type thats in two parts,takes up less room)for car stereo's, and solder the wireing in place.

The multi-pin cabling, there should be appropriate sockets on the back of the head unit for the eight pin lead (this is the normal type lead for cd changer to head)

the six pin again should plug either into the cd changer or which is more common, the head unit, I would think then, that you have either a lead missing or miss-matched head/changer. But you won't know until you have a look at the back of your head unit.

good luck
thanks Johno, I may well be taking a trip to Plymouth, to let you try out your soldering iron!!:goofygrin:.

I will have to take the stock stereo out and have a look, I guess.

The firm hasn't emailed back today, but we will see if they respond over the next day or two.

Thanks for the help so far guys

Pete

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Always welcome Pete and the Kettles always on the boil! :D

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

JOHNO wrote:
Always welcome Pete and the Kettles always on the boil! :D
must be part of being a Wing owner, we all have a kettle boiling constantly, same always applies this end, if you are passing.

Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.