Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Are they good? They have them on sale on E-bay for 1500'sin all different configurations. Supposedly they are a copy of the stock windshield. Does the stock windshield have a slight recurveto it?It's hard to tell what's stock anymore since most of them have been replaced. If so does the Cee Bailey also have the recurve? I now have a Tulsa that needs replaced and need to get the airstream pushedup higher to get it out of my wife's face. The Tulsa tilts back so much that the airstream just goes over my head and right back down. She's tall which makes it worse.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I bought a CB windshield this winterthat was - 2" shorter than stock height and a smoke tint.

Here's my experience with it, so far

I find better wind/rain protection, better visibility, less buffeting for the rider(don't know how it works for a passenger as I ride solo) even though it's 2" shorter. It is a little bit widerand is a lot thicker, so it doesn't 'flex' like the OEM shield.

I have since removed the chrome trim as kit bothered my 'sight lines'.

Also, I got a promotion email the other day and if you order it now, free shipping!

Dusty

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

The Cee Bailey doesn't have the recurve feature.

Carol complained about air going down the back of her jacket when we had the Tulsa Tall, but not with the CB shield.

I get wind on the top of my helmet, and when I have the visor up, bugs hit the inside of the visor, but seldom on my face, however, looking over the windshield is so important to me that a little airflow is a minor annoyance (hey, it's a motorcycle).

There are so many bugs out here (compared to southern Ontario) that I had to stop every once in a while to wash bug stuff off theTT just so I could see clearly, but with the CB, the bug stuff is out of my critical vision area and the air flow blows all but the very biggest bugs (bees etc) up and out of my face area.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

Thank you for that comment.

Well, the sunshine is waiting for me, our non-biking friends have just left, and I'm off to do more windshield testing:waving:

Regards,

Anim8or Earl wrote:

That's good feedback Greg.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I put a Cee Bailey screen on my '93. It was excellent with no distortion and no stress color bands when I wore my polarized sunglasses. It is a bit thicker than stock so it takes a bit of trickery with the mounting screws if you want to keep the vertical adjustment feature.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

I puta -1Cee Bailey windshield on last month and love it so far. The clarityof the screen is amazing to me and as Exavid said, no color bands while wearing my polarizedsunglasses. I cannot comment on the buffeting for the passenger since I have only riddenwith it solo. Customer service with them is excellent. I had 1 question during my installation and called them up andhad a great talk with theguy that theyfinally connected me with.

:action:

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Looks like Cee baily uses Acrylic for their shields. I try to avoid Acrylic because it shatters and makes sharp knife-like shards in an accident or if over stressed. They, Cee Baily, say "aircraft acrylic"... but it is not Lexan like OEM windshields and shatter-proof aircraft windshields. Lexan bends.
Just experienced another acrylic shield shatter this last month. One of the riders in our group went off the road and bounced off a fence. Minor damage to the bike and him, but his acrylic shield shattered into sharp shards. Fortunately he did not get thrown through it!
Just my opinion on the subject and wanted to share.

·
New Guy
791 Posts
imported post

corventure wrote:
Looks like Cee baily uses Acrylic for their shields. I try to avoid Acrylic because it shatters and makes sharp knife-like shards in an accident or if over stressed. They, Cee Baily, say "aircraft acrylic"... but it is not Lexan like OEM windshields and shatter-proof aircraft windshields. Lexan bends.
Just experienced another acrylic shield shatter this last month. One of the riders in our group went off the road and bounced off a fence. Minor damage to the bike and him, but his acrylic shield shattered into sharp shards. Fortunately he did not get thrown through it!
interesting feedback, thx for sharing.

after reviewing windshield threads, +'s/-'s of different manufacturer's / configs, i ordered a cee bailey just last week.

hopefully i won't have to deal with the pointy-edge stuff you refer to :( (and i wonder what cee bailey would have to say on the subject.)

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

I always find the winshield threads interesting. As you see in my picture, I think I have the world's tallest windshield. My riding mates call my bike the "pope mobile". I plan on getting a shorter one with a vent like the one I have. The C Baily sounded good until the sharp edges thing came up. I see alot of windshieldson eBay for about $150 + shipping.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I have discussed the Cee Bailey before, along with Exavid, as we both seemed to have them at around the same time on our 1500's and I absolutely loved mine too. It was thicker than stock and I know that Exavid did modify his fitttings to allow it to move up and down, but I never bothered and was happy to have it in one fixed possition.

I appreciated the crystal clear visability through it and the wind deflection for me and my passenger was good. Because of the cr*p that gets thrown up off the roads here when it is wet, I cut mine down so that I could peer over the top when riding, this suited me very well.

I had the moulded vent, which seemed to assist in sending air flow over my head, but then again, I never got to try one without the vent, to see how much it was a benifit.

I have not heard of a Cee Bailey screen shattering before, so this may just be something that is happening to other thinner, inferior makes. :?

I would have a Cee Bailey again in a heart beat if I needed a replacement.:claps::byebye:

·
New Guy
791 Posts
imported post

TwoBigCats wrote:
corventure wrote:
interesting feedback, thx for sharing.

after reviewing windshield threads, +'s/-'s of different manufacturer's / configs, i ordered a cee bailey just last week. hopefully i won't have to deal with the pointy-edge stuff you refer to :( (and i wonder what cee bailey would have to say on the subject.)
some time after posting this yesterday, i emailed cee bailey, referred them to this thread and asked for their feedback - directly to me or in the thread / forum. if they reply directly to me, i'll pass on their comments.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Thanks Two Big Cats, that should hopefully put the matter to rest. :claps::waving:

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

corventure wrote:
Let me add... this is not directed as a poo poo of Cee Baily quality, but just a concern I have with Acrylic's for any brand ofmotorcycle replacement windshields. I check all brands to see what they are using, when in the market for a new shield.:readit:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I am just doing some internet research on Acrylics and so far I have only found information like this simplified explanation, taken from a forum about glazing, glass and plastics in the building industry.....

In recent years, acrylic has replaced tempered glass in many applications in which heat is not a factor. Acrylic is 20 times more impact resistant than glass and does not shatter like tempered glass. Instead, acrylic dents if the impact is strong enough. If the force is sufficient to cause acrylic to fail, it will crack without shattering.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) is a transparent thermoplastic,

taken from wikipedia, it is used to make motorcycle visors, lighthouse glass as well as aircraft windows, and even the bathascope that was used to go to the deepest depths of the ocean back in the 1960's.

There are all sorts of attatives and treatments that can change it's properties and shattering into sharp shards is not an issue it would seem. I doubt they would use it in visors for our helmets if it were an issue.:shock:

·
New Guy
791 Posts
imported post

corventure wrote:
Let me add... this is not directed as a poo poo of Cee Baily quality, but just a concern I have with Acrylic's for any brand ofmotorcycle replacement windshields. I check all brands to see what they are using, when in the market for a new shield.:readit:
understand completely, corventure. from all that i've read on these forums, cee bailey's makes an excellent product for our wings, which is why i ordered one last week. having said that, your comments wrt shattering / pointy shards gave me pause so what better way to clear up the issue than ask the mfg to provide a reality-check statement on the issue(s)?

i'm hopeful they'll respond to me directly or here, either would be great.

·
New Guy
791 Posts
imported post

a quick follow-up note to this thread:

since i hadn't heard back from them yet, i called ceebaileys a moment ago and spoke to a person named paul. paul said they've sold hundreds of windshields and haven't had any reports of shattering / shards, etc. when i asked if they could make a post on this thread, he asked for my contact info and said their sales manager would follow up with me.

sounds like no worries on the issue. i'll be sure to post any communication they send to me, otherwise i'll sit patiently on my hands waiting for my new windshield to arrive :)

hal

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
imported post

here is the information:

Polycarbonate AKA Lexan only has one advantage and yes it is stronger than Acrylic and that is it. Contrary to what the Polycarbonate pundits have been stereo typed in to believing yes Polycarbonate will shatter as we’ve seen it on numerous occasion. The majority of numerous custom shields we’ve built over the years that have been broken or cracked are indeed Polycarbonate.

Acrylic AKA Lucite has several advantages as follows:

1. Scratches can be removed
2. Will not haze, craze or cloud
3. Superior optics
4. Can be polished
5. No hard coatings
6. Superior life span

It is a trade off just like anything else in life but just remember one thing. The next time you see any super sonic aircraft, helicopter, small airplane, commercial air liner or just about anything that flies post WWII. They all have one thing in common yes you guessed it they all ultize acrylics.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.