Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

for those of you who tow............

Check the nut on your tow ball. I must have done nearly 10,000 miles of towing on my current 1800. The previous owner towed with it and in the time I have had the bike, the ball and its nut and lock washer have never been disturbed and never come loose.
On Friday teatime, having covered 200 miles and just 8 miles from the RBLR National Rally, my trailer detached itself at motorway speed. Fortunately, it travelled straight and didn't do any aerobatics. No other vehciles were nearby and no one was injured. (I had just come off the M42 which was wall to wall cars - how lucky is that).
Anyway, I pulled over, recovered the trailer and found the ball still locked into the trailer hitch. The nut had disappeared and there was nothing to indicate it was happening until it went clunk and disappeared.

So, check those nuts are tight boys and girls.

On another note, it has been suggested to me that this happening is virtually unheard of and that it could be that because the trailer was locked onto the ball, someone may had loosened the nut a bit in an attempt to steal the trailer when it was briefly parked unnattended in motorway services. Did it come loose on its own? Was it tampered with?
I guess I will never know, but will be checking it much more regularly in future.

We rode over to Tudor Rose and got a new nut and a lock nut from Steve (Stainless) and I was able to tow the trailer home today.
I think I have been very lucky.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

It is something I check regularly when pulling trailers on any vehicle. My son and I drove a full size van from here in Woodruff, SC to Johnstown, PA, picked up a tow dolly there, pulled a RX7 home from there in about 24 hours. When we got back home, the ball nut was just a thread or two from coming off. Boy, we really dodged a bullet there. We were traveling 80mph down I95 and I85 through DC, Richmond and Charlotte and that would have really been a mess if that nut had come off.
I'm glad to hear it came out good for you. I've traveled the M25, M23, M1, M4, A14 and A1 many times so I know those UK roads can become a zoo.
Just remember, ball and nuts, ball and nuts.
Jim(inSC)

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
imported post

Happy to hear about your fortunate misfortune. Always good to keep your nuts tight!

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

I hope your shorts come clean :D.

ITs good to hear this didn't turn into a serious mishap and in the end everyone is ok .

As to the nut coming off you might take a look and see if there are several threads down below the nowtight nut. If there is enough space , drill a small hole and insert a split pin ( cotter pin ) or even a rolled pin . The nut might come loose but will not be able to seperate .

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrot

As to the nut coming off you might take a look and see if there are several threads down below the nowtight nut. If there is enough space , drill a small hole and insert a split pin ( cotter pin ) or even a rolled pin . The nut might come loose but will not be able to seperate .
Very good idea!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

At least it didn't pass you on the motor way:D

Glad everything worked out well, no damage to you or the equipment!!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Loctite!

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Glad all ended well in an otherwise bad situation:clapper:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

That could have been much more dramatic, glad it wasn't.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

No trailer chains??

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
imported post

That's what I thought. Here, we are required to have a safety chain.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

This nut will never come off unless I grind the welds off the 2" receiver. Actually it's a bolt going up into the ball, old style that's a little hard to find now a days.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
As to the nut coming off you might take a look and see if there are several threads down below the nowtight nut. If there is enough space , drill a small hole and insert a split pin ( cotter pin ) or even a rolled pin .

That will be happening :)

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

redeyes88 wrote:
No trailer chains??
Nope,

No requirement for them here, and positively dangerous in my opinion, but that subject has already been done to death here, hasn't it. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Glad everything turned out OK....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.