Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Is there anything out there that you can hook into the intercom setup other than the pricey J & M one? I don't want the gps, ipod satellite hookup just a cell phone interface through the Honda System.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I didn't know J&M had one now. The only one I was familiar with is the Kennedy Cellset. It's pretty pricey too. I haven't heard of any low cost options yet.

http://www.cellset.com/

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

A "Hard Install Kit" would be the way to go.
I remember a thread about a few weeks ago (?) similar to this in content.
I had posted a link to something referenced inthe direction you're trying to go.
I know this don't help much, but I'll try and find it...

Edit: ...found it:

BUT... This is fully dependant on your technical abilities withelectronics and associated fabrication. I'm not certain what model bike is referenced as I have a 1000 and no hands on experience with newer models other than the 1100's.

I'm certain that it could be adapted to a Cellular Hard Install kit though.
http://www.davesgoldwing.com/ham_radio_install.html
Hope it helps you...

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

Hey guys, we are the ones complaining about the idiots in cages jabber jawing and not paying attention, I choose not to join in with them and leave my phone in my pocket.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Hi Guys,

It's all fine, well and good, that most people ride to get away from it all and don't want to have their cell phones while they ride, but that isn't the question he asked.

He was asking if anyone had any suggestions how to connect the cell phone through the intercom, and it turned into a discussion of how no one wants their cell phone when they ride.

Some people have the need to be reachable, and no one is answering the question.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Send Snorebaby a PM. I know he had a set up on his 1200, I don't know if he has hooked one up on his 15 yet, and if it can work with the 18's..... may be worth a few seconds of typing though:?

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I have to be accessable 24/7 so I use the Cardo set up All the other setups are too expensive

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
imported post

nightwizard40 wrote:
Send Snorebaby a PM. I know he had a set up on his 1200, I don't know if he has hooked one up on his 15 yet, and if it can work with the 18's..... may be worth a few seconds of typing though:?
Funny you posted this about the same time Snorebaby and I were discussing this question. Snorebaby's set-up along with some other suggestions can be found here

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/69665-1.html

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Are there impedance issues with those in-line pieces in the link above?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I've called Snorbaby a couple of times and he was on the bike at the times. He had it hardwired into the 1200's system and I couldn't even tell he was on a bike, no wind or background noises at all.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Thanks guys I appreciate all of the replies and do appreciate the fact that we all get upset when others talk on the phone while driving.
My biggest gripe is that they do not talk hands free or are to busy texting while driving to see us on the two wheelers (or 3). I too am on call 24/7 so I really need the phone work tends to get a bit grouchy if you don't answer and they have to leave a phone tag message.

Thanks again for the replies.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

I don't believe I've welcomed you to the forum yet dburge1, so welcome! :)

The J&M system is pricey, but it is a nice system that integrates cleanly. I'm running it on my 1500. The only thing I'm not thrilled with is that the control button for the Bluetooth moduleis not waterproof, so you either have to put it in a baggie when it's raining, put it in a fairing pocket, or turn it upside down. It's not a huge problem but just an irritation. It has worked flawlessly for more than a year and more than 20,000 miles so far for me. Because I added the Bluetooth my phone stays in it's holster. I just turn the bike on, it connects to the phone and I'm up and running.

I've not used the Kennedy system but I'm told it works well too. I talked to them before buying my J&M system but the price they quoted me for what I wanted was more than the J&M system. I've since heard conflicting reports that Kennedy's system was cheaper, but I can only tell you what my experience with them was. If you do talk to Kennedy, make sure to ask exactly what functionality you are getting with their system, because they have a lot of options.

Let us know what you decide on and how you like what you buy. :)

John

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Thanks for the welcome Jluvs2dive. I am just putting out feelers. I am kind of cheap so I cannot see me spending $395 on a phone system. Even the Kennedy system is $175 and really pushing it for just the use of my phone. I have some friends who are very good in electronics I may put it to them and see what they may be able to come up with. If I come up with something I will post it for everyone.

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

A few years ago, I emailed a guy who I found on the internet. He used a bluetooth headset that he hacked, wired through a couple of transformers and interfaced through the intercom system. I attempted to follow his instructions and ended up killing a $20 bluetooth headset... Oh well. I can try to find the email he sent me, but I suspect I lost it when my hard drive crashed...I like Snorebaby's idea; pretty simple hookup. I may have to try that

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Jerryk959 wrote:
A few years ago, I emailed a guy who I found on the internet. He used a bluetooth headset that he hacked, wired through a couple of transformers and interfaced through the intercom system. I attempted to follow his instructions and ended up killing a $20 bluetooth headset... Oh well. I can try to find the email he sent me, but I suspect I lost it when my hard drive crashed...I like Snorebaby's idea; pretty simple hookup. I may have to try that
I think you might be referring to me? I've been using my homemade $20 bluetooth hookup for several months now, and it works great!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.