Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
The sue happy people that injure themselves due to their own stupidity have forced manufacturers to add safety devices.
Good example: Winnebago was sued because a man purchased a new RV while on the highway he engaged the cruise control got up from the drivers seat went in the back and made a cup of coffee, consequently the RV crashed. He sued received several million and a new RV all because Winnebago didn't have in the owners manual the crusie control does not steer the vehicle and not to leave the drivers seat.

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yep,i fully agree! If i kocked a bike over when i was a kid i would of had the crap slapped out of ME if the bike didn't kill me first.We learned purdy quick,only took once and sometimes didn't even have to ask,you just knew!NOT like today for sure.
ALOT of kids nowadays seem to push it over the limit because they know the parents will more than likely stick up for THEM rather than punishment.That said,it is still very painful to watch a small kid knock a large bike over and hope he isn't under it.

I just think a very simple little pull-catch tang could prevent a major lawsuit,"maybe" caused by unresponsible parenting,and the KID again,suffers the most.

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
I too like the way a Harley side stand locks in place. Honda should have done the same on the GW. Feral children? Not much you can do about them.

There is birth control ... but you have to get the breeders to use it.

·
Best looking member
3,106 Posts
Wow dude you taking to extremes here! Just a simple cable pull that's all!No walking TEN moles to find YOUR keys,No blocking the driveway for days,come on!Just a small wittle bitty tang so the bike cant be shoved forward,that's all! You freakin out over a wittle bitty tang?
Now i have to ask...how many times have you played on your folks car hood? LOL
You have to forgive Chromo, he hasn't come to terms with the fact some of the other 7 billion people on the planet might look at things differently then he does.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The sue happy people that injure themselves due to their own stupidity have forced manufacturers to add safety devices.
Good example: Winnebago was sued because a man purchased a new RV while on the highway he engaged the cruise control got up from the drivers seat went in the back and made a cup of coffee, consequently the RV crashed. He sued received several million and a new RV all because Winnebago didn't have in the owners manual the crusie control does not steer the vehicle and not to leave the drivers seat.
That's a fabricated story that keeps making the rounds. There's no record of it ever happening.

·
Just Winging It
3,324 Posts

Comes from this book.

Baby on the Car Roof and 222 Other Urban Legends: Absolutely True Stories That Happened to a Friend of a Friend of a Friend by Thomas J. Craughwell

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Roof-Other-Urban-Legends/dp/1579121470[/ame]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Why not use that steering lock for car between center stand and front crash bar.I always do that when i work on bike because it's pretty easy to get the bike down the central stand.

·
Belly Pan Man
164 Posts
Hi, I'm new here. the reason I joined is because of this conversation. While googling center stand lock for GL1800. this thread is the only thing that comes up. anyhow , long story short, I am designing and fabricating a center stand lock for the GL1800. I am on the gl1800riders forum and have posted a thread over there but I have yet to release any pictures or information until I have a working prototype. I am very close to a manual operated "Latch" that will keep the center stand from folding when deployed. while this Latch doesn't actually lock, I am working on a version that may and also maybe an electric actuated one also. those versions are future design improvements that may are may not come to fruition. anyhow , stay tuned, I will reveal the lock in a few days! oh and BTW, nice to be here!

·
Belly Pan Man
164 Posts
Ok, here it is folks! tell me what ya think!

Disclaimer; this is a prototype not the end product.

The bracket lock kit will come with the lock/bracket, new right side center stand bolt, new bolt for the coolant overflow bottle. (this bolt will be a much higher strength bolt than the one currently holding the coolant bottle)

The bolt for the coolant bottle will anchor the bracket to the frame. the curvature of the frame itself will be what holds the bracket from twisting when attempting to get the bike off the stand. The right side bolt has loctite on it and needs to be replaced to hold it all from coming loose.

To unlock it simply pull out on the plunger and turn it 90° in either direction and it will lock open. when it is open the "T" handle will be right up against the rear cowl. only a portion of it will be visible in either position.

so , here is the pics!

this is the "kit"

here it is installed and unlocked.

and here it is locked

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hi, I'm new here. the reason I joined is because of this conversation. While googling center stand lock for GL1800. this thread is the only thing that comes up. anyhow , long story short, I am designing and fabricating a center stand lock for the GL1800. I am on the gl1800riders forum and have posted a thread over there but I have yet to release any pictures or information until I have a working prototype. I am very close to a manual operated "Latch" that will keep the center stand from folding when deployed. while this Latch doesn't actually lock, I am working on a version that may and also maybe an electric actuated one also. those versions are future design improvements that may are may not come to fruition. anyhow , stay tuned, I will reveal the lock in a few days! oh and BTW, nice to be here!

Welcome to the forum Macgyver0856!

The center stand locking device you designed is very well thought out,especially for being a prototype.I like the idea the operator can decide whether to lock the stand or not.IF you decide to design CS locking mechanism to be/include electrically operated,a thought of maybe retaining the 'manual lock' to be an option,in case of power failure,or abandoning the bike roadside for help,still be lockable.

Thanks for posting,and the pictures of your design..
I think this is a great idea.

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
A center stand lock for me,especially when pulling a trailer,would be mighty handy.When the wife and i travel,we tent camp out of the trailer.When we stop for the night to set-up,i put the bike on the center stand to make it easier to get to both side boxes.I (and HER) have to be careful not lean on the rear of the trailer when unloading it.Also there has been many of times either the bike and/or the trailer is parked slightly downhill.

Cleaning the bike,rolling a tire to check air pressure,checking trailer wheel lug nuts with a wrench,tightening floorboard bolts etc.A positive locking stand just makes sense,rather than trusting a wheel chock.

I was at my BIL house and he had the rear wheel off of his Kaw.Voyager to replace the final drive.As he was torquing a bolt,I told him he better put a strap on that center stand or he was going to be laying with the bike on top of him.He freaked out! He had been pulling super hard on wrenches taking it all apart and didn't even realize it could have went forward and fell over WITHOUT the rear wheel on it.

I just think this idea of a very simple lock for the center stand is a no-brainer.It is very lightweight.Would only take minutes to install.And is there IF you ever need to lock the stand.

·
Belly Pan Man
164 Posts
Welcome to the forum Macgyver0856!

The center stand locking device you designed is very well thought out,especially for being a prototype.I like the idea the operator can decide whether to lock the stand or not.IF you decide to design CS locking mechanism to be/include electrically operated,a thought of maybe retaining the 'manual lock' to be an option,in case of power failure,or abandoning the bike roadside for help,still be lockable.

Thanks for posting,and the pictures of your design..
I think this is a great idea.
A center stand lock for me,especially when pulling a trailer,would be mighty handy.When the wife and i travel,we tent camp out of the trailer.When we stop for the night to set-up,i put the bike on the center stand to make it easier to get to both side boxes.I (and HER) have to be careful not lean on the rear of the trailer when unloading it.Also there has been many of times either the bike and/or the trailer is parked slightly downhill.

Cleaning the bike,rolling a tire to check air pressure,checking trailer wheel lug nuts with a wrench,tightening floorboard bolts etc.A positive locking stand just makes sense,rather than trusting a wheel chock.

I was at my BIL house and he had the rear wheel off of his Kaw.Voyager to replace the final drive.As he was torquing a bolt,I told him he better put a strap on that center stand or he was going to be laying with the bike on top of him.He freaked out! He had been pulling super hard on wrenches taking it all apart and didn't even realize it could have went forward and fell over WITHOUT the rear wheel on it.

I just think this idea of a very simple lock for the center stand is a no-brainer.It is very lightweight.Would only take minutes to install.And is there IF you ever need to lock the stand.
Thank you for the compliments! My main goal was to keep it simple ,a device anyone could install themselves. Although I have ideas on an electro-mechanical lock , I don't feel that is as marketable as not just anyone could install or wire it . I see you have a 1500 , this is designed for an 1800 only at this point and I am nearing the production phase. I am nearly done testing the prototype and have built a weld jig from it. I built the first lock bracket from the jig this weekend but have yet to install the locking mech. on it. once I do that ,I will test the fit of it on the bike and finish testing the prototype for it's durability under real world conditions.

After that point , probably sometime after the first of the year I will be making these on an "by order" basis...Right now I have orders for 5 of them.

Not a bad idea ... good job! Think you could design a locking side stand? I've had more trouble with that.

I have been looking at that also.!!

21 - 40 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.