Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Center stand removal

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Stiggy 
#1 ·
imported post

My center stand likes to rub the ground when going in and out of some driveways..I believe its because the passenger floor boards push against it and keep it a little lower than it should be.I`m not sure if the passenger boards are stock or not (They are chrome on the bottom and say Honda)

I cant get my 85 Aspencade on the center stand as I`m not the young stud I once was anyways,so I want to remove it.I looked around at it and dont seem to see a way to do it.Am I just blind or is it a big job?

#2 ·
imported post

You will have to drop the exhausts first or the inner stand tube won't clear. Once the pipes are down, unhook the spring and loosen the two bolts & nuts (one at each side of the stand) and then drive the inner pipe out. The stand will then fall down.

#4 ·
imported post

Thanks a bunch,guys..thats my project for today! (which will end up being a weeklong project,if things go status quo)

#5 ·
imported post

I also find it difficult to put the aspy on the centre stand, I carry a piece of 3/4 by 4" 8" long pice of wood, back the bike onto it then I can lift it the rest of the way. Otherwise it's a two person job, OK at home but since most of my riding is alone...

#9 ·
imported post

Tonys96 wrote:
No bike is that difficult to put on the centerstand, if it is...

You're doing it wrong...

Ask someone at a local dealership to show you the proper method, it's real easy.
I agree that any new bike is easy with the appropriate method but sagging back shocksor a low tread tire can drastically change the amount of effort that is needed. My 1200 ltd is plum easy as long as I pump up the back shock first. My old 1200 was impossible with out a 2 by 4 until I changed out the original air shocks of progressive mechanicals.

#10 ·
imported post

Tonys96 wrote:
No bike is that difficult to put on the centerstand, if it is...

You're doing it wrong...

Ask someone at a local dealership to show you the proper method, it's real easy.
Tony, I've been riding bikes since 1966, and I have owned or ridden every type of bike at one time or another, and almost every one of these bikes have had a centerstand. Now if I was 40 years old, 6' and 200 lbs in excellent health and couldn't get a Wing on the centerstand, yes I would agree with your general statement above. As it is however, not everyone who rides a Wing are physically able to put one on the centerstand even using the proper method. Every time someone has a problem with getting their bike on the centerstand, you come out with this "you're doing it wrong" line, and that statement tells the other biker that they a a dumba** or something to that effect by the way that you tell them. If you really want to help them, first find out why they are having a problem getting it on the stand, then suggest a way. Don't automatically assume that they are doing it wrong. Don't take it personal, but nobody is all knowing, but God.;)

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

#11 ·
imported post

No, not a duma**, just have never been shown how to put a bike on a centerstand properly.

I've been riding for 35 years now, for the first 15 years it was just jerk it on the stand, all muscle, no brain.

Then I went t o work at a bike shop for a few years, the "lot mutes" laughed their butts off watching me struggle with a then new '84 Gold Wing. The young guy, couldn't have been 135#'s showed me the proper way, he just snapped it up on the stand.

So don't take offense, just stop by the local bike shop and ask how it's done.

#12 ·
imported post

Well, I never had to jerk a bike either to get it on the centerstand before I lost most of my right knee in an airborne operation along with 3 disks in my back. Now I just use jack stands on each side that I modified to support the bike. If I really need it on the centerstand, then they are other ways to get it on where I don't have to put excessive force on my knee. Just because I'm slightly handicapped, it's not going to deter me from riding nor should it prevent anyone else. I'm sorry if I came down a little hard, its just that I never cared for using one answer as a solution to a problem where the problem might be more complex than is stated. Otherwords, not all problems are as simple as they seem, and a proper solution can only be divised after all the proper questions have been asked. And although a 135lb guy could put a 84 GW on the centerstand, I have watched several Honda techs who have been around for years and specialize in the GWs who had problems getting some of the Goldwings up on their centerstand right here at the local dealer whose been here for over 30 years, along with his techs, one whose a close friend, and he has been working on Goldwings since 76. He owns a 76 and a 81 naked and even he says its a problem at times. But we are getting off the thread, Zonk wants to remove the stand because it is rubbing going in and out the driveway, I think Emmon and Gaswing answered his question on how to remove it very well.:D

#13 ·
imported post

No offense taken, I've got pretty thick skin.

Whenever we get together I'd be glad to show you my technique, don't know when that'll be but whenever.

Ask the guy that moves the bikes around the showfloor at the local dealership.

Just for kicks, here is the method I use:

1) Stand beside the left hand side of the bike, facing forward.

2) Place the sole of your right foot, or left if needed on the centerstand lever, center the end of the centerstand lever in the shank of your boot (The spot directly in front of the heel) toes forward.

3) Take hold of the seat grab bar with your right hand, and the left handlebar with your left hand.

4) Stand the bike up vertical on it's wheels.

5) Gently press down with your foot on the stand to center the bike.

6) Lean slightly forward at the waist.

7) With one quick motion, stand on the centerstand lever with all your weight while simultaneously lifting up on the seat grab rail while also straightening up your back.

Your bike should now be on the centerstand.

The piece of the centerstand that sticks out to the left is designed to work as a lever, about 100#'s of force is needed to lift a GL1500.

#14 ·
imported post

Tonys96 wrote:
No offense taken, I've got pretty thick skin.

Whenever we get together I'd be glad to show you my technique, don't know when that'll be but whenever.

Ask the guy that moves the bikes around the showfloor at the local dealership.

Just for kicks, here is the method I use:

1) Stand beside the left hand side of the bike, facing forward.

2) Place the sole of your right foot, or left if needed on the centerstand lever, center the end of the centerstand lever in the shank of your boot (The spot directly in front of the heel) toes forward.

3) Take hold of the seat grab bar with your right hand, and the left handlebar with your left hand.

4) Stand the bike up vertical on it's wheels.

5) Gently press down with your foot on the stand to center the bike.

6) Lean slightly forward at the waist.

7) With one quick motion, stand on the centerstand lever with all your weight while simultaneously lifting up on the seat grab rail while also straightening up your back.

Your bike should now be on the centerstand.

The piece of the centerstand that sticks out to the left is designed to work as a lever, about 100#'s of force is needed to lift a GL1500.
Exact same technique I've used for years. However,

1. My Gl1100 doesn't have grab rails like a 1500, so you have to reach a little further down and grab the guardat the front ofthe saddle bag,

2. I've tried with my left foot to keep the weight off my right knee, but to reach down and grab the only place on the side of the bike that you can lift from, I'm twisted into agony using my left foot, therefore I can't put probably more than 50 lbs of pressure in that position.

Heck, I used to ride a friends GL1100 back in the eighties, thats why I bought this one, and I had no problems then getting it on the centerstand. It not a thing of knowlege, it a matter of physics and physical angles.:D

#15 ·
imported post

I have had my 85 since I was 45 years old, yes I could do it easy then using the above method, however years of toil, the fact I like the soft ride with little air in the suspension, and a back like a bag of jelly makes it impossible without either a helping hand or raising the bike by backing it up 3/4".
I was at the Honda Homecoming and watched the guy at the end of the line just use the reverse gear to hoist the 1800 onto the center stand, now thats why I want the reverse :)
I still question the merit of removing the center stand, I guess if you have a power lift to take its place and someone to pick up the bike in case of needed tire change on the road.

#16 ·
imported post

I need to remove it because it scrapes the road when I go in and out of any sort of "dip" at a driveway or intersection.If I get a flat,I`m calling triple A and they can deal with it.

#18 ·
imported post

There is no getting away from the fact they areheavy especially if the panniers are loaded.

I have been riding bikes ever since 1966 andI thought I had finally lost my strength/ technique a few weeks ago when I had to ask my son to help me put it on the main stand .

On inspection I noticed the curved part of the left 'foot' of the stand had broken due to almost daily use over 20 odd years and and it was impossible to roll it on to the stand. Now looking for a second hand one. Would add re technique make sure the front wheel is straight when pulling back to avoid any tyre drag.

A great forum chap's the ultimate sorce of wing knowledge!

Stiggy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.