Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've had my Gold Wing a week now and just tried to put it on the center stand. How does a skinny ex-Texan put this big bike on the center stand without droping it??? I didn't drop it but I can see it happening. I quit after a few trys. Now my old Honda 50 was easy. :D

Mike

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

This question gets asked a lot! Searching will get you better answers but basically you grab the handlebar with your left hand, the rear passenger or rear crash bar with your right hand, and pull straight up with your right hand while simultaneously stepping down on the center stand extension.

Should come right up! Although I must admit it's much easier said than done!

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

yep there heavy beast, My 77 gl1000 isn't to bad, but The guys next door thats another story, It takes the two of us to get that baby up, He's got a 85 yamaha 1200 ventury, It takes the both of us and a couple of beers to hide the pain:D

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

The important thing is to let your weight do the work - stand firm on the stand and basically use your hands as balance/guides. Comes up oh so easy then...

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Stand close in on the left side with your right hip against the seat and the back of your leg at the front of the saddlebag. Grab the passenger grab rail with your right hand as you hold the handlebar with the left. Bring the bike upright gently, don't over do it. Put your right foot instep firmly on the centerstand tab. Bring the centerstand down and rock gently to ensure it is level with both feet touching. Crouch slightly, then straighten up and back while lifting the grab rail and mashing down on the centerstand tab.

And once again, I cannot give lessons on how to gracefully come off the damn thing, but I can make coming up on it look like a fine ballet manuever!

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yeah, I guess coming off it is another problem...hadn't thought of that. I wound up getting my wife to get on the other side.:( Hope no one saw that! It's on the center stand now and tomorrow I'll warm it up good and change the oil. Then, damn, I have to get it down again. I would prefer to have driven it to warm it up but It's up there now and ain't coming down 'till I'm done.

Thanks for the replys.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

I have considered revving it up to 3000 rpm, dropping it into first and rocking back while I dumped the clutch. If anyone has tried that, let me know!!

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

As far as the dis-mount off the center standis concerned: I make sure that the sidestand is retracted, the bike is in neutral, and just rock foward and back a time or two and off you go. I set the front brake which keeps you from scooting forward. Release as necessary.

When I bought my wing last year I couldn't get it up on it's centerstand until I read about it from boards like this. Now, I just grab ahold, step down, and the bike is on it's centerstand.

The procedures that we go through won't get us a medal, but they should:action:

Hobie

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
I have considered revving it up to 3000 rpm, dropping it into first and rocking back while I dumped the clutch. If anyone has tried that, let me know!!

Just make sure your not aimed at a wall or something,:shock:That might hurt,

I've done that with my 75 yamaha rd125, It damn near snubbed it out, kinda scared to try on something with that much power, and weight.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

I suppose the stand is OK?

My 1100 was a right pig when I got it. Closer inspection revealed that the stand had seized on it's spindle and someone had losened the pinch bolts so it could move.

If you do fit a new stand and spindle be careful. Fitted mine and nearly threw the bike into the back of the garage as it went up so easily.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

thought i read somewhere (might even be here) that honda does not recommend being on the bike when you take it off the centre stand as it puts undue stress on the frame!!! (i have an 1800 so i did take a bit of notice when i saw this LOL)

Wish i could find the article but it suggested that to get a bike off the centre stand you stand on the same side of the bike as the side stand, grasp both handle bars and push the bike off of its main stand, then pop the side stand down and mount you trusty steed as normal. Now if your a big bloke thats fine but if your 10 stone dripping wet i reckon that your going to have a problem or two doing it this way.

Still dont tell you how to get the thing on the stand in the first place:D

BMW had the righ idea with a ride on- off main stand.

cheers

Phil

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I'm a big guy, Phil, and I can't see me taking the bike off the center stand without already being on the bike. I think it could get away from me way too easy otherwise. I don't start the bike until I'm off the stand.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

when I had a small saddle I could throw the bike forward with the handlebar's whilst sitting on the bike.

Now I have a Touring saddle I have to

put the side stand down

stand on left side of bike

left hand on handlebar

right hand on passenger grab rail

left foot instep in front of main-stand to prevent it from sliding

lean forward with all my weight

as the bike comes off the stand it automatically leans to the left and sits happily on the side stand

Just don't park the bike facing uphill!!! :gunhead::gunhead:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

JOHNO wrote:
I have to

put the side stand down

stand on left side of bike

left hand on handlebar

right hand on passenger grab rail

left foot instep in front of main-stand to prevent it from sliding

lean forward with all my weight

as the bike comes off the stand it automatically leans to the left and sits happily on the side stand
Hey JOHNO :waving:That is the correct procedure for taking any bike off the centre stand. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Well, I got the oil changed and the monster off the center stand. I just sit down on the bike, rocked it forward and off it came...piece of cake. Guess the only hard part, for me at least, is getting it on.

Thanks for the replys.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
The important thing is to let your weight do the work - stand firm on the stand and basically use your hands as balance/guides. Comes up oh so easy then...

Jack
Hey Jack. I don't have any weight. That's part of the problem. :D:D

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've ridden my 1200 and 1500 off their stands but just to try it, don't like doing it since it adds a lot of extra weight (more than 25%) to the stand and it's pivots when I'm on. Just to keep from having any moredisasters, I put the side stand down first before I take the bike off the center stand. That way if things get awkward or I slip, I have the side stand to let the bike down onto prior to mounting.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Yeah, but Paul think of how eyecatching it would be to rev it to 3000 and pop the clutch!

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

I had a friend that had the same propblem years ago..plus he was so short he had to kick the side stand down pretty quick everytime he came to a stop. His solution for getting it onto the center stand was this. He got a seatbelt from a car in the knackers yard, attached a plastic coated heavy duty clip at each end. He then hooked them on to the front and rear crash bars and put the strap across his shoulder. He obviously measured the strap first to make sure he was taking some of the weight. It worked for him.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
Yeah, but Paul think of how eyecatching it would be to rev it to 3000 and pop the clutch!
I did that with my first bike. I started on a Cushman scooter at 15. When I got my license at 16 I bought a Triumph 650 in boxes from a neighbor. Once I finally got the thing together and running, I pulled it out front of our house, got on it, revved it up kicked it into first and dropped the clutch. The bike promptly took me for a ride across my dad's lawn leaving a nice furrow in case he wanted to plant wheat, through the hedge separating our house from the neighbor's place and into his porch. Through this fine ride I was hanging on for dear life, but the hedge did me a favor and helped me get off before the crash into the porch. I had to get a new headlight and bucket, and do some straightening before I got a ride on that bike again. Don't know why it did that, I always started out that way with my two speed 8hp Cushman!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.