Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am not small but I am not big either, is there an easy way to ge and 800 lbs wing on the center stand? Somebody help me before I drop her.

Ritchie & Lyn :shock:

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

Well I grab the handlebar with my left hand and the rear seat rail with my right hand. I then take my left foot and push the centerstand down and then gently push the bike up until the other "foot' of the centerstand is touching.
I then straighten my left leg while pullin back and it goes right on up.
Trick is to do it all in one fluid motion. For me it is!

I'm just 5'8" and weigh a shade under 170 and can get mine up at my old age.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I have been known to run the rear wheel up on a 1x6.... that extra 3/4 inch sure helps.... also make sure your rear shocks aren't sagging

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I've found that facing backwards helps me. Its easy after the first time. Like when you realized how to ride that bike. After you do it once...

Its a combination of pushing down with your foot, and lifting the bike at the same time.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
imported post

The trick I was taught was to get it as straight up as you can then just stepping on the center stand will get a rise out of it, have someone help by standing on the other side of the bike the first couple of times to play catcher if needed.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

Hi Ritchie

This is all about technique.
As previously posted left hand on handlebar,right hand on seat grab handle.
Place your right foot on to the centre stand and push down till it touches the ground,then while keeping pressure on the centre stand ease the bike of the side stand until it is upright.At this point you will feel the other foot of the centre stand touch the ground.
This is the part where the technique comes into play as you need to carry out the following in one "fluid" action.
You should now have the bike upright,left hand still on bar,right hand on seat grab handle and right foot applying pressure to the centre stand and both feet of the stand touching the ground,if you transfer all your weight onto your right leg,at the same time straighten your leg and push down your foot while rolling the bike backwards.
In essence you are rolling the bike back up onto the centre-stand and not lifting it.
I would suggest that if you are not confident doing this to get a helper to stand at the other side of the bike just in case.
This really is a lot easier than it sounds,in fact it's the same method you would use for any bike and once you get the hang of it, it's a doddle.
If you look in the FAQ section there is a post titled Excellent safety videos for GL1800 owners,listed is a video on how to put on the centre stand

Regards Steve

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

As stated above. One way to think the lift procedure is pulling up with your right hand and pressing down with your right foot..... as if you are stretching an innertube between your hand and foot.
One time a fellow could not figure it out, only to find he was not standing to the left of the motorcycle, but sitting on it and trying to get it up on the center stand!!!! This works with the BMW-LT with it's electric stand, but not for the rest of us!

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

straight up and down is definately the key. And I spent a couple years pushing until I learned on this site to grab in front of the saddlebag with my right hand. One motion seemed to make all the difference. Like eveyrthing else, a little practice makes the difference.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

easiest way is to let someone do it for you
I like to stand behind the bike and with my left leg under the bag holding the center stand pedal I pull the trunk towards me

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

It really isn't that hard...I learned from a video that circulated around on this forum....and I couldn't even begin to post a link ( probably thanks to just a little too much scotch tonight)..but it's all about "straightening the right leg...at least it is for me...Left hand on the handle bar, right foot on the center stand..and it's a bit of a combination move...lifting with the left hand and straightening out the right leg/lifting...Once you get the hang of it, it's really easy..just keep practicing..and search for that video..

SOMEONE PLEASE POST THE VIDEO??

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

I have a chrome centre stand dont know who made it but its the easiest bike to put on the ctr. stand i have ever had foot on it and lift with one finger granted the tyre is still touching the road but boy is it easy i just sold a 400 suzuki which was hard to get on the stand

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

Once ya get the knack it's a snap. My '06 has a 'Fish" centerstand and I can roll her up using only my middle finger on the passenger grab and a little downward pressure on the stand. It is a great stand but the wheels are on the ground once it's up. Makes driving off pretty nice too ;)

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

I can get my 1200A up on the stand.......I just can't get it off the center stand. What is the trick here?

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Aspengold wrote:
I can get my 1200A up on the stand.......I just can't get it off the center stand. What is the trick here?
Straddle the bike, hands on the handlebars, feet on the ground. Pull back on the handlebars and rock it back as far as you can. Then as it starts to rock forwards, lean forwards and push on the handlebars. As it passes over center and starts to come down off the center stand, modulate the front brake to control it and bring it down nice and easy.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well if the rear shock is down, it is a bear. With no hare............:D Kit

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

I was so frustrated because I'm a guy 6' 4'' and 285lb and could not get it up when I first bought my wing, I had to ask a guy much smaller than me for help. He showed me the technique and after a couple of tries it was easy.

It's all about leverage, just don't give up.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

Place the center stand so both feet are on the floor. Grab the handle on the seat and stand up straight. Works for me every time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.